Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcertain_gw

Callophrys gryneus, Juniper Hairstreak

gcertain
17 years ago

I'm sorry for the poor picture quality, but I am happy to have been able to get it. There are much better ones on the Web that allowed me to identify the butterfly. This is the first time I've ever seen one. I was hoeing my garden beds in preparation for planting veggies when this tiny butterfly zoomed in to investigate the freshly turned soil. While I ran for my camera, it moved frequently before landing for just a moment on a dry leaf. I was able to get one shot before it left completely. Its preferred host is cedar, of which there are many nearby. I'll be checking them for larvae.

{{gwi:443956}}

Comments (6)

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Geni,
    Great capture! Hope that one shows up in my garden.

• emmayct
    17 years ago

Beautiful color! I assume this means that you're home now Geni?

Glad to see the butterflies seem to be following you!

• Butterflyer1966
    17 years ago

Hey Girl,
    what a cute Butterfly...
    are you back in Alabama??? Sheesh, that would be awesome, we could finally meet.. :)
    Been working hard in my garden and I think the Butterflies were just waiting for me to start planting.. The last few days with all that sun, my plants are starting to grow and I see Butterflies everywhere.. Kinds I have never seen in Florida before..
    Everytime I grab my camera they wanna play hide and seek with me and then disappear.. lol
    I know I have at least one Tiger SWT//Blackswallowtail-MAMA who already oviposited a few eggs on Fennel and Parsley//a few Skippers//1 Red Admiral// Sulphurs and Whites// Painted Lady//a few Hairstreaks.....
    I would be so happy finally beem able to meet with me..
    Please let me know if you are back here..
    Hugs
    Susanne(SUE)

Oh and today I saw my first Hummingbird Moth and I was able to take a few pictures of her..yeah.. :)

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Very beautiful little guy.

• gcertain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, back home in Alabama for nearly a month now. This little green guy was the first butterfly I saw in my garden this year, although my first week back I found what I thought (hoped) were Eastern Black Swallowtail eggs on some fennel that survived the winter. If they were, they were most likely eaten because a few days later the eggs were gone and I never found any cats. I have seen a lot of Tiger Swallowtails around, but none in my yard. I have seen big, black butterflies in flight but I couldn't tell whether they were Tigers or Blacks. And I've seen a few Cabbage Whites and Eastern Tailed Blues. About the only things blooming in my yard are ground ivy and dandelions, so I don't blame the butterflies for not hanging around.

Sue, I'll e-mail you a list of plants and seeds I have to trade. I think anything that grows here will also grow where you are, especially the ones that need dividing.

Mexico was wonderful, but it's great to be back!
    geni

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

You lucky duck you! I've never seen any of the green hairstreaks, but in pictures they always look beautiful, as does yours!
    If it were me, I'd practically live in the cedars! :)
    MissSherry