Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzannie41

Look what I have

suzannie41
16 years ago

I brought the dill plant home from the nursery and it had the tiny black caterpillar on it. that was about two weeks ago and now look at it!!

Image link:

Comments (4)

• aggscott
    16 years ago

That is so great! Everytime I go to the nursery I look through the plants to see if there is anything on them. The people who work there must think I'm crazy.

Good Luck with him or her~

Aggie

• suzannie41
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Aggie,

I never thought to check the plants when I was at the nurseries, I just happened to see it when I got home, but I will now be checking every time I go. thanks for your comments.

Suz

• gcertain
    16 years ago

It's an Eastern Black Swallowtail cat. It will pupate soon, and about two weeks after that you'll have a stunningly beautiful butterfly. Do you have it in an enclosure?
    geni

• mechelle_m
    16 years ago

My husband and I went to Fredericksburg last weekend to the Wildseed Farm and bought 1 dill, 2 fennil and 3 rue plants and came home with about 17 BST caterpillars and 5 eggs! What a bargain (for less than $15)! It was a good weekend to go as the butterflies were everywhere!

They grow patches of wildflowers to harvest the seeds and in the patch of blue mist flower, there must have been 300 queen butterflies. They were attracted to this flower like it was a magnet. There were several other species of butterflies in "The Meadows" (their name for the wild flower beds) but none were blanketing a particular flower like the queens did the blue mist flower and I didn't see any queens on anything else. It was definitely a sight to behold. I took pictures, but haven't had a chance to download to my computer to see if you can see anything. Will try to post if they turned out.

They also had a butterfly haus enclosure (3,000 sq ft) that was made up of host plants, nectar plants, had some feeders with rotting fruit and a water feature. They had many species of butterflies there and it was just wonderful to sit and enjoy them living their lives in the enclosure. If you get the chance to go to this part of TX, please do, it was definitely worth the drive and the $5 entrance fee/per person to "The Meadows" which included the butterfly haus.

Mechelle