Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Palamedes Swallowtail

MissSherry
17 years ago

I've been raising a good many palamedes swallowtail cats this year, and I've released several already this spring. They always flap their wings wildly, and flop around on the bottom of the cage, sometimes turning upside down, like they're just DYING to get out! When I go ahead and release them for fear that they'll injure their wings, they can just barely fly, and fly over to a nearby tree or bush to hang upside down for a while before they fly off for good. They can't seem to wait until they're fully ready to leave before they insist on leaving!

I released a gorgeous male spicebush swallowtail today, but he flew out of the cage before I could get his picture - he had a big green area on his hindwings that was just the same shade of mint green as his lunules. Another GF emerged, and I released him, too, a gorgeous, dark orange male. The palamedes was a female - she had a little bit of blue on the topside of her hindwings, unlike the males, who have no blue. Here's a picture I took of her on the little evergreen blueberry bush she flew to -

{{gwi:444924}}
MissSherry

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm