Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder? No Way!!

Posted by misssherry Z9aMS (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 15:56

I've got gulf fritillaries everywhere, chasing each other all over my garden, nectaring on all my different nectar plants, caterpillars on my passionvines in all different sizes. You'd think all that familiarity would make me take them for granted, but it doesn't - they're still one of my favorite butterflies!
Is there anything more beautiful than a newly emerged, intensely red orange male gulf frit?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
MissSherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder? No Way!!

I only wish I knew....We don't have the pleasure of those beauties here in CT. But we do get Great Spangled Fritillaries and they are gorgeous.

Personally, I really love skippers and American Ladies even though they are probably the most common in my garden... They are just so dependable!

o

I do agree, MissSherry! I LOVE Gulf Frits! I wonder if it is because they are the ones that started my butterfly passion :P

o

Could be, Sherry - I well remember all those GFs you raised!
MissSherry

o

We don't get gulf frits here, but have a lot of great spangled frits. Do the gulf frits have as many of those wonderful silver spots on the outer wings as the GSF? When the sun hits them just right they reflect like tiny mirrors-sometimes the reflections so bright that it's hard to look at because of the glare.

mike

o

Not on the outer wings, Mike, but their undersides are covered with them - they're beautiful!
MissSherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here