Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palamedes Swallowtail

Posted by misssherry Z9aMS (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 15:17

This palamedes was enjoying some Mexican/tropical/scarlet milkweed, whatever you call it -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
MissSherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palamedes Swallowtail

Very nice picture, MissSherry! I look forward to having more of this plant in my garden....and I'd take more of the Palamedes too! - Arlan

o

Thanks, Arlan!
I love those palamedes swallowtails myself! They use redbay/persea borbonia and swamp bay/persea palustris as host plants around here. I'm sure those are the two they use over in lower Alabama!
MissSherry

o

Oooh, MissSherry! Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Now, do you find that they are much larger than the Black Swallowtail? (wingspan) or about the same? Just curious...

o

I have never seen one around here although they are supposed to be here. I have a Redbay that my Spicebush sometimes use but they seem to prefer the Camphor. Wish I could draw them in my yard

o

Coincidentally, I found a pretty good size palamedes cat on a little swamp bay/persea palustris that's growing in front of my house. I haven't seen as many palamedes swallowtails this year as I usually do - maybe it'll help out if I raise some cats myself.
MissSherry

o

Since my son joined cub scouts I've been seeing my first Palamedes. We saw them in Feburary when camping in the Big Cypress and then we saw them last weekend at Camp Miles, which is near Punta Gorda. So they seem to like wooded wetland areas. (I wasnt even sure which one it was just knew it was not a BST or GST.) We never see them "in the city" though here in Fort Myers. They really are pretty. Love the body stripes!

o
RE: Palamedes Swallowtai

kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here