Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuzzy White Caterpillar with black Markings

Posted by tobi680 Northwest Pa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 12:28

I'm not sure what this little guy is, i'd say maybe 3/4 - 1" in length. I was doing some yard work earlier and must have picked him up as a hitch hiker because I didn't notice him until about an hour later when he tickled my arm and scared the heck out of me! I've seen other ID's on here for white caterpillars, but I don't think this is the same, the others all seemed to have different markings, or strange black hairs, this one has all white hair and black markings on his back that sort of look like smiley faces.

Image link: Fuzzy White Caterpillar with black Markings (17 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuzzy White Caterpillar with black Markings

I think it's a hickory tussock moth. Hickory tussock moths prefer various types of hickories, but they'll use just about any deciduous hardwood.
Here's a picture of a HTM/lophocampa caryae I found on the internet -

MissSherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here