Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcertain_gw

A few late season butterflies

gcertain
16 years ago

One benefit of the warm, dry fall in the Southeast is that the butterflies are staying longer.

{{gwi:448312}}

{{gwi:448314}}

{{gwi:448316}}

{{gwi:448318}}

{{gwi:448319}}

{{gwi:448320}}

{{gwi:448321}}

{{gwi:448322}}

{{gwi:448323}}

{{gwi:448324}}

{{gwi:448325}}

{{gwi:448326}}

{{gwi:448327}}

{{gwi:448328}}

{{gwi:448329}}

Comments (6)

• khakitag
    16 years ago

wow, what gorgeous photos. You must be a pro, or have an awesome camera. Of course, the butterflies are beautiful too!

• jmcat
    16 years ago

Wonderful pics and very pretty BFs!
    -Jmcat

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures. Can you identify the butterfly in the 13th picture down? I saw one very much like it in my yard on Sunday and cannot find anything that comes close.

• gcertain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are expecting freezes tonight and tomorrow night, so I guess that will be it for the butterflies this year. I'm glad they stayed around as long as they did. Today I saw only a couple of Gulf Fritillaries, Sulphurs and Skippers.

Thank you for the compliments, and I'm glad you liked the pictures. I certainly am not a professional photographer, but I do love my camera, a Sony DSC-F828. It's a few years old and I don't think it's made any more, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have over 12,000 shots on it.

I should have identified the butterflies. I was tired, I guess. They are:
    1. Monarch
    2. Monarchs on Orange Cosmos
    3. Pipevine Swallowtail
    4. Pipevine Swallowtail
    5. Common Checker
    6. Fiery Skipper (I think!)
    7. Buckeye
    8. Variegated Fritillary
    9. Gulf Fritillary
    10 Sleepy Orange Sulphur

1. Red Banded Hairstreak
    2. Sulphur in the Jungle (Orange Cosmos, Red Cypress Vine, Pink Morning Glory)
    3. Long Tailed Skipper (I don't recognize the cat)
    4. Cloudless Sulphur
    5. Painted Lady
    6. Eastern Black Swallowtail

It turned out to be a very good year for butterflies here. Here's the entire collection:
    {{gwi:448331}}Alabama Butterflies 2007

• jmcat
    16 years ago

There was a post about that species of cat on the discussions side recently. Thanks to MissSherry, I can tell you that it is a Tobacco Budworm Moth cat. This year, I am raising them for the second time. The moth is certainly not as big or showy as a Luna, but they are kind of pretty.
    -Jmcat

• gcertain
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, jeez, Heliothis virescens! After all the years I spent in the cotton field with farmers and entomologists working on ways to obliterate these little demons without making them invincible to pesticides, here I am growing them in my garden. I can't believe I didn't recognize it. Well, I guess I can, because I've never seen one that big. I'm glad I didn't bring it inside and feed it. I could never show my face at a cotton meeting again.
    geni

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting