Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_c_gw

Lotsa lotsa caterpillars

Cindy_C
18 years ago

In my area, this is the prime season for Monarch caterpillars. And right now, the milkweed plants are so full of them, it's almost creepy, in an Alfred Hitchcock sort of way.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Density Caterpillars (on my blog)

Comments (7)

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

Wow, I cannot believe it! I have a lot of cats right now, tooÂDid you happen to spot any of the adults? Did you see any tags? (Can you tell I am hoping that someone would have seen one of my tagged babies? hehehe) :)

Sherry

• Cindy_C
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Sherry. Generally, if it's sunny out, there are Monarch Butterflies at the arboretum. Lately there have been lots of them, but today it was overcast and chilly, and I only saw one! There are SO many caterpillars, though, and between them and the colder nights and the yellow aphids, the milkweed plants are starting to look pretty scraggly. In a couple of weeks, many of them will be reduced to naked stems.

I haven't seen any tags on the adults, but I have to admit, I haven't been looking out for them either. Whereabouts on the butterfly do you put the tags? Do you have a photo you could post of a tagged butterfly (or the link to a previous if you already posted one) so I know what to look for? (sorry I'm so clueless!) It would be really cool if I could find one.

• linda_centralokzn6
    18 years ago

Here's a pic of a tagged Monarch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tagged Monarch

• Cindy_C
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow. A tag like that should be easy to spot. And what do I do if I see a Monarch with a tag? I'd have to catch it to read it. Hey, well, if it's nice out this weekend, I know what I'll be doing...

Makes me wonder if I could/should try to get some of those tags myself, and try to tag some of the arboretum Monarchs. Is it even still the right season to do that?

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

Cindy,
    It is almost too late now to do any more tagging for this year so I'd say wait and do it next year (all tagging info has to be returned by the end of this month so by the time you get your tags it will be too late to get them on the butterflies and all thatÂ). You order the tags from MonarchWatch. If you DO spot one, jot down the number. :) That would be so awesome! I don't know if anyone else in SoCal did any tagging besides me. I tagged 75 of the little monkeys. :P

So, what's going to happen to the larvae when there's little to eat? Are you bringing them home to feed? Giving them to your friend who has a garden at school?

• Cindy_C
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't keep any caterpillars at home. I don't have milkweed. It's easier to enjoy them at the arboretum; it's just a couple of miles from my house. So far, there seems to be enough food for everyone, but today's big caterpillars might not leave enough for the up-and-coming little guys that will be bigger in a couple of weeks. Sometimes I will relocate cats from a sparse plant to a fuller one.

The milkweed plants at school are even yuckier looking than the ones at the arboretum. My friend has a few good plants at home. I gave her a few caterpillars.

I'll keep my eyes open for tags for you!

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

Thanks! And, let me know if you need a foster mom :P My Milkweed looks fineÂ

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz