Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life Histories of Cascadia Butterflies

Posted by kcclark z5b OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 4:53

Found another new book. Decided to see what BioQuip's specials were this month and saw this on their home page. According to Amazon, it came out October 1st. It is by David G. James and David Nunnallee. Covers butterflies in southern British Columbia, Washington, northern Idaho, and northern Oregon. Forward is by Robert Michael Pyle, who also wrote a book on the same subject with David Nunnallee.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU Entomologist Coauthors New Book on Life Histories of Pacific Northwest Butterflies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life Histories of Cascadia Butterflies

This is an interview with David G. James about the book.

I'd like to see a California Sister caterpillar in action. Fangs?! Constructs a platform from its own frass?! I need video! I found none on YouTube. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthFix Conversations: Photographing the Northwest's Butterflies

o

KC,

Very interesting. Seems like Larry and I corresponded about this book. He didn't know the people who wrote it. I hope to spend more time in the Cascadia area this summer if possible. Getting there at just the right time is the biggie.

Caterpillar fangs? Platform from frass? This definitely needs to be shown in photos. The Painted Lady larva fills its nest full of frass, and other larvae propel the frass as far from the feeding area as possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

o

"Cascadia" is dominated by fritillaries in summer. The best viewing is at meadows, ridgelines, and prominences in August, where there is more variety than just the roadside fritillary.

Cascadia is more properly everything from Lassen in California to Garibaldi in BC, and that is the scope of the Pyle book.

o

As I've said in other threads, I'm trying to avoid buying thick paperback books. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find this book in hardcover. So I tried getting a library copy to see what type of copy they are using but I failed. No one close to me has a copy and I can get one shipped to me only if I can show I'm doing qualified research (which I cannot). So I went to plan C and contacted the publisher. They said it is available only in paperback. :( Guess I will break down, buy it in paperback, and treat it gently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here