Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Missing my Monarchs

Posted by minrose 4Mn (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 7:40

There was someone at another forum I go to that just recently had a Monarch hatch for them, sure missing my Monarchs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Missing my Monarchs

Beautiful pictures.

Bob

o

Thank you!

o

Beautiful! I'm glad you take the time to post photos Minrose. The color of the sedum in the bottom photo looks a lot like one I have that I don't have an id for. I know mine isn't Autumn Joy because I have that one also and they're different. Do you know the name of yours?

I'm missing the butterflies too and warmer weather. I've been winter sowing some seeds to get me through. : ) I keep bird seed out in the winter also. At least we get to see birds this time of year.

o

I miss my butterfly friends too! But I can go out to the back of the house and look at the Swallowtail chrysalises that are over-wintering there and will hopefully emerge in a few months and that's some consolation. :)

o

Christie, thank you for the nice comments, you know autumn joy sounds right for the sedum I have but I will try to locate my garden notebook to look it up for sure.

Terrene, I have never had any chrysalises over-winter, where are you keeping them? How neat!

Bob, thanks alot!

o
I found my notebook

Christie, the sedum is called either Neon or Pink Neon.

o

Hi Minrose, I'm keeping them in a mesh sleeve on the back of the house. See the thread called "Overwintering Papilio chrysalises" and there are pics.

o

Thanks for looking up the sedum id Minrose. I've thought mine might either be Neon or Brilliant. It attracts butterflies a little better than Autumn Joy.

o

I miss the butterflies too! Like Terrene, I am overwintering some swallowtails and have 5 chrysalides overwintering in my 3 season porch. I have a tall floor lamp that has a metal sand-filled base so I just stuck in all the branches and it looks like art. No one has a clue unless I point them out! (see link below) Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: BST chrysalis in 3 season Porch

o

Plant Milkweed and they will come!

o

we have lots of milkweed in our grove thankfully, just wish winter was over with and that the milkweed could start growing again.

o

Beautiful, freshly eclosed butterflies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here