Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Good News For My Garden :-)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! Like most of you, I've been busy winter sowing for my ever growing garden. The other week, a Gurney's catalog came in the mail and mom and I have been flipping through it back and forth. She wanted a couple of sturdy plants for out front (south facing) and I've been wanting a couple more butterfly bushes. They offer the Bicolor butterfly bush and mom and I fell in love with it! They also offer blue and red but Bicolor just looks so stunning! Should we go for it? I'm ordering a bean tower to grow my morning glories and moonflowers on and that will be next to the butterfly bush I have now. It may be winter but gardening's still fresh in my mind!

Slightly OT, but is anyone Winter Sowing anything new or exciting to add to your butterfly gardens? I have several seeds like Joe Pye Weed, Fennel, milkweeds, Maltese Cross, Rose Campion and quite a few others. Happy gardening everyone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Hey, Brad! Happy New Year!

I would buy most anything from anyone......except Gurney's, and a few others (Spring Hill Nursery for sure). Before you buy any plant, check out the Garden W*A*T*C*H*D*O*G on that other website. (Take the asterisks out and google the name). We are not allowed to post the name of that other website here at GW. I know - stupid. All the other websites let us post the name of GW. Grrrrrr. They rate and review the mail order nurseries. B. 'bicolor' is sold by many now.

A good source for this BB is dogwooderitternet on eBay. I've attached a link for you. He is in Arkansas, and he sells a lot of butterfly nectar and host plants, tropicals, etc. It will be small, but I am sure Gurney's is small also. BB's grow fast, and it will definitely bloom this summer for you. I LOVE this BB. One of my faves for sure!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush 'Bicolor'

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,

I have heard about Gurney's reputation and I frequent the "other website" that you're talking about. I do remember seeing some Bicolor BB at a local nursery. I saw some Miss Ruby at Home Depot before too. Mom liked that one too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

There's a new one introduced in 2011 that we will see more in 2012, called "Peach Cobbler" - sounds delish, doesn't it? It's in the new series called Flutterbye Grande, and there are 2 others, Vanilla and Blueberry Cobbler. They all sound yummy, don't they? Peach Cobbler kinda reminds me of Bicolor, because the blooms look pink and peach to me. They just lack the lavandar blue color that you see in Bicolor. Actually Bicolor to me is a tricolor bloom, and not just a bicolor bloom. The Flutterbye series is being touted as a non-invasive, the standard for which means it can produce seeds, but the seeds are 2% or less viable.

With the B. davidii's being added to the invasive plant lists by many more states, you'll probably see many more non-invasive tags on the new introductions and some of the older ones that have proven to be either sterile, producing non-viable seeds, or no seeds at all. Bicolor has never self-sown any seeds for me at all, so it could be sterile, or I just don't have the right environment for it to produce viable seed, don't know for sure.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleia Flutterbye Grande series

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes they do sound yummy lol! They're pretty too! The Blueberry Cobbler looks like the color of flowers on the one I got at Wal-Mart this past summer. I deadheaded the faded flowers so I wouldn't know if mine would reseed.

I wish I had more space for Butterfly Bushes. They're one of my favorite plants. I know mine got attention by the EST's and silver spotted skippers plus a few others. I love their fragrance plus they're a sentimental plant for me. My best friend that died in a car accident the summer before our high school senior year loved them. My butterfly garden's in her memory and I remember her saying BB was one of her favorite plants.

Anyways, I agree with you that Peach Cobbler looks like Bicolor. I'm gonnna have to keep my eyes open for the Flutterbye series. Maybe we'll see them at Lowe's or HD even.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I purchased 4 Ellen's blue & a bicolor bush from Botany shop & all are doing great! Prices were the most reasonable & the plants were all about 10" or bigger! I may have lost one of the Ellen's Blue plants because I moved it in the heat of summer. I now have 2 bicolors & neither have produced seeds. My red & attraction bushes as well as my black knight all produced pods but I cut them off before they opened...so hopefully, no volunteers. Who knows what would be produced because of all the different bushes I have collected in the last couple of years.
    {{gwi:450529}}

• Tony G
    12 years ago

I second Lila's recommendation of the botany shop. I got great quality plants for an affordable price.

I also got a "miss ruby" from Hirt's(through amazon) which was a great plant:

http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Ruby-Butterfly-Bush-Buddleia/dp/B002Z5UF6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325874913&sr=8-1

ebay is also a great place to look around, just make sure you are buying from a reputable vendor. Good Luck, Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Ruby Plants

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Imabirdnut, wow! Those are some healthy looking butterfly bushes! I checked out the Botany Shop. I'm gonna have to tell mom about it :).

Tony, thanks! Glad to hear that the Botany Shop is a reputable source!

I'll let everyone know when and where I'll be getting my butterfly bushes!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored