Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imabirdnut

What To Do With A Newly Eclosed BST ???

imabirdnut
9 years ago

I have a few BST & GF pupas in my cool garage & one of the BSTs eclosed recently! The temps are going to be very cold for North Texas the next day or so & I don't know how long it has been out of the chrysalis! I put a small vase with several pansies in the box to give it some nectar but it doesn't look like we will have temps over mid 40s for the next 2 weeks! What should I do with her?

Comments (7)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

The cool temps will slow down its metabolism so it does not need to eat. If the temps are not going to get down to freezing, you could let it go in a protected spot like a fir tree. Or you could keep it in your fridge until the outside temps warm up.

If you are going to keep it in the house, you need something more than pansies. Gatorade, sugar water, or something similar. I have no memory of how cooperative BSTs are when it comes to drinking since I have not tried since the '70s.

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding...she is still in my box in the garage for now. It is going to be 60 this Saturday, so I will release her then & hopefully she will find nectar!

• ThatShabbyGuy
    9 years ago

I had this eastern tiger female last year. Researching online I found information on how to feed them indoors.

You can use a mix of honey, water, and soy sauce (for minerals) or fruits such as cantaloupe or watermelon. Id have to find the ratio for the honey water mix but with fruits just use a small slice then cut some grooves in it to get the juces flowing.

Most of the time, they are finicky and wont eat on their own. You need to set them on the papertowel amd uncurl their proboscis with a paperclip or something similar.

Once the tip of the proboscis hits the fruit or cottonball, it will stay there. You'll know if the butterfly is feeding by observing a pumping action of the proboscis.

If it curls the proboscis back up, I usually try a few more times. If she doesnt feed, simply try a few hours later.

Once it starts feeding, it will remain still for about 10 minutes or so. When it is done it will curl its proboscis back up. May or may not fly away afterwards.

The info I read recommended feeding in the morning and evening.

A local butterfly house or museum may be able to take the butterfly in. Most swallowtails do not like being enclosed in small spaces and will flutter constantly and usually remain at the top. If you decide to keep it, give it an enclosure with soft netting so it doesn't wear out its wings. They will get ratty fast.

Gonna go out and check my eastern tiger chrysalis now lol. Got me nervous. :)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I would release it. I had two Monarchs hatch inside and the weather turned cold (low 40's) here. I waited for the sun to come out and released them. I know they are both in my garden.

I am new to this but what I realize is the butterflies I raised this year have remained in my yard. No one, in my neighborhood plants any food source to feed them and so they hang around the few flowering plants I grow.

I have not seen any Swallowtails for a few months. But I have about 8 Monarchs who fly around when the weather is warm. I do not see them when it is cold so they apparently wait for the day to warm.

Jane

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

I've just seen sulfurs...and only on very warm days. Hope it makes it! Such a cold winter...nothing blooming here.

• ThatShabbyGuy
    9 years ago

Yeah Linda. When we get warm days like we have now here in DFW I see them as well as Variegated Fritillaries laying on green nodding violets. They're crazy!

• imabirdnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the lady BST didn't make it & a male eclosed as well & his wings didn't expand properly! ;o(
    I still have a couple more that will hopefully wait a few more weeks!
    ThatShabbyGuy...do you have any seeds for your nodding violets? Would love to have some if you want to trade or I could send a SASBE.
    Thanks, Lila

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville