Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Is it feasible to have bird feeder's and caterpillars?

ladyrose65
9 years ago

I'm trying to find a new place for my Milkweed. But since I've started feeding the birds. I'm questioning the growing of Milkweed to only have the caterpillars eaten by the birds. Last season the Swallowtail cats got infected by parasitic wasps. (I can't find a website to control this? taking recommendations).

What is your experience?

Comments (6)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I have tons of birds and I'm still able to attract aand raise Monarchs, swallowtails and Red Admirals.

Martha

• ThatShabbyGuy
    9 years ago

Birds are going to be anywhere they want anyhow. I don't think it would be a problem.

As far as the parasitic wasps and cats go, I've seen info on the internet about covering the cats and the host plant with a mesh bag. The holes need to be fairly small to keep predators out. Otherwise there isnt anything can do to prevent them. Raising them indoors would guarantee a higher survival rate.

• alch21
    9 years ago

I have a huge bird feeder in my garden and it does not affect my butterflies at all. Nature will take care of its own. Enjoy both the butterflies and the birds. The only thing I do is to cover the black swallowtail with a tulle ( super cheap at any craft store ) after I notice caterpillars on the fennel or parsley. They seem more tasty to birds than the other cats.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You Very Much for the information. I appreciate it. I will look into buying a tulle. I went to website they want $1,000 for a butterfly mesh? Too pricey for me...?

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

The socks are $1000 because LiveMonarch is out of them and that was their quick way to keep people from ordering them. When their price does come down, I don't suggest them for milkweed. When I've tried them in the past, wind/rain has managed to get the plant to fall over to the ground and then some small animal chewed its way in and killed the cats.

I quit feeding birds in the winter because it led to problems for my caterpillars. But my situation is different because the caterpillars are in the trees, not on milkweed.

The monarch caterpillars are protected from birds the same way the butterflies are. The birds eat one and find out that they should not eat the cats.

If you really want to protect cats from birds, using the same bird netting that is used to protect fruit trees will do the job. You just lay it over the patch of plants. Downside is mama monarchs may pass you by because your milkweed patch is now not sincere enough. ;D

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus