Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyman

2014 New Plants

butterflyman
10 years ago

I'd like to start a discussion of new plants that people might be trying for 2014. Here's one I just ordered.

Cheyenne Spirit Echinacea from JohnnySeeds.com - it has won some awards and from my personal observation last year, looks very nice. It supposedly doesn't need cold-stratification. JohnnySeeds is the cheapest source I found.

Comments (8)

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

Very pretty!
    I'm ordering Green Envy Coneflowers from Gurneys http://www.gurneys.com/product/green_envy_coneflower/plants-for-sun

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

I haven't decided quite yet but I'm so ready for spring and to get started!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Me too.
    I have lots of seeds to start and we're due -15 degrees this week...
    So frustrating!!

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

I want to start some rock cress to try to get some Falcate Orangetips here. It's just a matter of figuring out which one to get. There's Arabis this and Arabis that, and I never heard anyone on here say that they get Falcate Orangetips and what kind of rock cress they have to attract them.

I also want to start some Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh) in the woods here. I don't know if it's possible to get Appalachian Azures here, but even if I don't, I think the plant gets pretty flowers and is unusual looking.

I want to have snapdragons for the buckeyes and I guess I'll have to pick out something new since Swallowtail Garden Seeds no longer sells the 'Bells' series that I have been buying and the buckeyes have been laying their eggs on.

Other than those things, I'll be growing what I've been growing. I sure hope that this year is a better butterfly year because last year wasn't good. Maybe we'll all get tons of butterflies. :) One can always hope. I'm just glad that there seems to be more and more people getting interested in helping our winged friends.

I won't be gardening anytime soon because we have lots of snow on the ground. I think we've had snow cover for probably the last two months. It's been an extremely cold, snowy winter!

Cathy

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    10 years ago

So far, I have seeds for:
    Asclepias purpurascens
    Asclepias viridis
    Asclepias hirtella
    Asclepias exaltata

Don't really have anything else planned but you never know.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I went through a native plant catalogue and bought all the shade plants that they offered that should grow in my region--that I don't already have. They've all been wintersown and are sitting in the snow waiting for spring. I'm still trying to see how I'll keep the deer from munching on any sprouts that pop up. Hopefully I'll have lots of new plants this year.

Martha

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

I don't know how new this plant is to the gardening world but it's new to me. It is listed as a new hybrid which boasts up to 12 weeks of blooms. So far, it has overwintered well and is already putting out new growth.

Columbine - Aquilegia x hybrida 'Origami Red & White'

I bought it late last season so I'm excited to see how well it handles our heat and humidity ... slowly but surely building a list of plants that do well for me. Getting too old to spend a lot of time babying plants plus I don't have a lot of garden space. From now on, except for the milkweed, everything else has to earn it's spot. :-)

Mary

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

This year, I'm trying some new Milkweeds, providing they survived this Winter and the coming rabbits. Sigh...
    I have some Whorled Milkweed planted with some Mountain Mint,
    some Tall Green Milkweed in front of the house and some Spider Milkweed and obovata along the side fence. I planted them late last year, but they all had fat roots when I put them in the ground.
    Hoping to see some Monarchs this year, but if this year is anything like last year, it will be a while...

I also have lots of seeds from a friend on this forum to plant this year. I'm also trying Rue and Buttonbush for the first time from seed. I hope all the Milkweed I distributed last year grow safely this year.

Sponsored