Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian longhorned beetles causing trouble in Ohio

Posted by kcclark z5b OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 21:38

State wants to cut down a lot of trees (fortunately not in my area, yet). Just another reason to make sure you have a variety of hostplants. Losing my maples would put a SEVERE crimp in my moth raising activities. Darn beetles eat birch, ash, and willow too. My sweetgums, hickories, and walnuts have to start growing faster.

Re-read that paragraph. Very selfish to leave out the fact that the beetles would put a crimp in Mother Nature's moth raising activities too. With all these foreign invaders taking out trees, the other insects will be forced to concentrate on what is left, which won't leave those trees very healthy.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: Battle against invasive beetles leads to war over trees

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian longhorned beetles causing trouble in Ohio

This article has pictures of the grub and exit holes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree-killing bug not picky

o

Cutting down the trees and turning them into mulch won't eradicate the beetles, unless they are piling the mulch and super-heating it to create compost. If the mulch is used in other locations, this could spread the infestation. I liked the idea of our local free mulch until I considered the possibilities that I was bringing in diseases/pests to my yard.

I can understand your distress. I'm hoping the beetles don't make it to your place. Will birds feed on them? Is there any local predators? Sure don't want to bring in any foreign predators!

Sandy

o

I agree with Sandy and the commenter on the article that said cutting down trees has never worked in getting rid of foreign invaders. This is terrible to hear!
There must be some other way to get rid of them.
Sherry

o

The battle in Ohio continues. Fortunately, the infestation seems to have not spread. Updates happen quite often. Links to them can be found on a Facebook page that was setup about the problem. Search Facebook for "Ohio Asian Longhorned Beetle Information"

o

Is it fortune, or are there specific reasons being given for the non-spread?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here