Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

A big thanks and a w/s Milkweed question

First off I want to thank you all for being so helpful and opening my eyes to what beauty I can bring by attracting butterflies. It was very, very relaxing chasing butterflies during a horrible economic and emotional year. Thanks again for all your inspiration.

I also have to thank all the folks that sent milkweed seeds either for a SASE or trade. I ended up with quite a handful!

Regarding winter sowing I am curious (never winter sowed) to how close you folks like to seed. I am under the impression that milkweed doesn't like to have its roots bothered. I am going to use 4L milk jugs (1 gal) and 2L (1/2 gal) pop (soda, for another southern translation LOL) bottles.

My other plan is involving stratifying the seed in the fridge between moist paper towels then planting them as soon as I can work the top portion of the ground. I will try to get a few going under my lights but have hundreds and hundreds of milkweed seeds to plant.

Any thoughts?

Looking forward to viewing all your pics and being able to share more this coming year.

{{gwi:451884}}

Thanks again,

SCG

Comments (18)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture :) Is that Lobelia?
    Try all methods and see which works best. Start some inside a few weeks ahead of time to get a jump on things. Spring sow other seeds after stratification, and Winter sow others.
    I store mine in baggies, stuffed in a vase out in my garage for the Winter. Late next month or in April, depending on the weather, I'll bring them inside and attempt to start some in flats.
    I have Rue, Button bush and Bronze Fennel to plant this year.
    It's always exciting growing something new.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks leaf head,

Yes, that is lobelia..while I understand I can find what works best for me, I do have nearly 3000 milkweed seeds to sow. While I can accept failure on some fronts my goal is to provide seeds for the monarchs next year (especially since they are not native here).

Thanks again.

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Every little bit helps at this point, and is very appreciated by all.
    Those milkweeds will also make an attractive nectar source to your other butterflies as well.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

SCG,
    With limited time, space, and soil, I would wintersow most of your seeds. It's the closest to nature, but with protection. I wouldn't worry about the roots being disturbed in seedlings. You may lose a few, but your overall success rate will be better.

Martha

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again all.

I wasn't sure if milkweed was one of those plants that would not perform if you did any root damage.

Methinks the kiddie pool is going to be repurposed!

SCG

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

Hi there,

Do you know what kind of milkweed seeds you have? Some are annuals in colder climates, while others would be perennial. For instance, Tropical Milkweed or Asclepias curassavica is an annual in more northern climates.

Some milkweed seeds could be sown outside now--they would need the stratification to break dormancy.

Asclepias incarnata is not too fussy about getting moved after being planted, just need some attention until established.

Thank you for taking care of the Monarchs. Maybe you could share some with like-minded people in your area or go plant in areas that are neglected?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bernergrrl for the response and sorry I am slow responding.

I don't know exactly what variety of most of the milkweed i have. They were obtained during a trade and labeled as "common" milkweed.

I have winter sowed some in the containers I have all the rest between damp paper towels in the fridge. Hopefully I they will take when I direct sow them.

I appreciate all the help. Since monarchs are not native here my goal is only to harvest the seed (a lie as I know native BF
    s will like it!) I am currently clearing a 300ft X 60ft area for these seeds... Will be pretty if most take!

Thanks again

{{gwi:451885}}

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Sweet White Lined Sphinx!! What is that it's nectaring on? (Mine love Hostas)

Good luck with your Milkweed and your Monarch project.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Leafhead, Was the only one I seen last year, hope more come this year as I planted a few host plants. The flower is a Benary's Giant Zinnia. Thanks for the tip on the hostas.

The hummer was the only thing not impressed with the moth.

{{gwi:451886}}

Flower is Nicotiana.

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

What a shot!!
    I'll have to add some of that to my garden as well :-)
    We've had a heat wave up here in the Midwest, with upper temps at or near 40 degrees-above zero. Halleluea!! Spring is peeking through and snow is beginning to melt. Yay!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

YES! we have had the same heat wave, 2 weeks ago -30C and +10C right now. Most of our snow is now gone making for a very mucky, yucky spongy mess. I am so ready for spring!!

Here is to warm thoughts.

The butterfly feeding trough in front of my shop last year.

{{gwi:451887}}

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Awesome garden...Warm thoughts indeed. Esp love the blue towards center right.
    Just talked c my oldest sister, and she's COMPLAINING about the heat down in South Florida! WAH LOL
    What I could be planting down there right now...

Original Author
    10 years ago

oh Yeah WAH!!!...

My planting style is to plant enough that the weeds don't stand a chance or you don't see them.. The blue/purple is lobelia from the initial picture. Deadheading is done with shrub shears....sometimes....

another for warmer thoughts

{{gwi:451888}}

SCG

Original Author
    10 years ago

dbl post

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 19:57

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Thanx, SCG...Beautiful White Admiral
    It's 50 here, the birds are singing and the snow is melting :-) YAY!! We're due a week c six out of seven highs above freezing and lows on the 20's. I think the icy back of Winter is finally broken. I'd be quite surprised-and put off-if we saw any more nights below zero. We'll undoubtedly see more snow, but it will melt off rapidly.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol I posted the wrong picture. That Loquins Admiral is on aster ( nice guess too!!)

Yeah we have been in the low 40's F for the past few weeks with more snow doubtful. While we can still get frost till nearly June I usually have to mow a few times in April. Yay! For spring!

Wish I could access my hard drive with all my butterfly pictures. One almost feels warm looking at them. Oh well how about a skipper?

{{gwi:451889}}

Too melting days!!

SCG

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Cute Skipper, Fiery?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh, again so close...it is a Ochlodes sylvanoides or "woodland skipper" the absolute most prevalent here.
    I really am needing access to my HD now as this is becoming fun....from photo bucket library...

A "matrix" theme.

{{gwi:451890}}

SCG