Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
migrantmonarch

Asclepias asperula and the monarch butterfly

migrantmonarch
10 years ago

Dear Gardeners

Can you help me, please, to obtain information in the possible expansion of Asclepias asperula from the traditional distribution (http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=ASASC";).

Let me explain my interest in this. I work on the migration of the monarch butterfly, Danaus plexippus. I am analyzing butterflies that were caught in the Miami area with Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC). TLC is used to determine the larvae butterfly host plant and then the plant TLC fingerprint is matched to the plant distribution. In this way we can determine the natal ground of the butterfly. We recently found monarchs with the Asclepias asperula fingerprint in this Miami sample, suggesting that they hatched in the southwest of the United States. This means that these butterflies hatched in the southwest of the United States and then migrated (?) through the Florida peninsula. However, we are puzzled about this result because migrant monarchs that hatched in southwest United States will probably go to Mexico and not South Florida.

However, his "unusual" result can be explained by the expansion of Asclepias asperula from their known distribution. I found information of the effect of global warming on Asclepias asperula, explaining how it could grow beyond the reported areas. In addition, this species is popular with some American and Canadian gardeners as a way to attract butterflies, including the monarch butterfly. But because there is an unofficial ban in growing A.asperula beyond its traditional areas it has been difficult obtaining information. My interest is purely academic and any reports can be done without a name. In addition, the future publication of these results could be critical in the protection of the monarch. There are very few studies of the migrant monarchs in Florida.

I will be happy to send you my papers if you wish and/or you can Google them. Does anyone have, please, any records of the presence of this species apart from their known distribution? if yes, (1) can you tell me where and when this species was observed; (2) Did you see any monarch larvae and/or adult in A.asperula?; (3) how many A. asperula plants did you see (I only need a rough estimate)?and (4) any pictures available?

Thanks!
Cristina Dockx
cristinadockx@yahoo.com

Comment (1)

Sponsored