Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

My butterfly bush still has green leaves

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

We've had a warmer than normal winter. I'm tryin to remember if my butterfly bush keeps its leaves every winter or if it always has a few leaves. It's a Pink Delight. Actually I have two of the same variety. I was thinking they usually lose their leaves. It would be nice to have earlier flowers so I may cut back the biggest one and leave the smaller one to flower, hopefully earlier than normal. What do you think? Will I regret not cutting it back?

Comments (8)

• brieninsac
    12 years ago

After pruning mine way back this winter it's getting a lot of leaves too right now. It's looking the best it ever has at this point in the season.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Christie, mine keep a lot of their leaves every year, but I've found that it works best to prune them to within a few feet of the ground in spring. They make much more new growth and flower better than if you just let them regrow from where they left off the previous year.

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Christie,

I know it is being recommended here (Tulsa area) to prune the BF bushes now. However, I have lost some BF bushes when I pruned them early, and we got a hard freeze afterwards. I usually wait until after the last predicted freeze date which is April 15th to prune. They regrow rapidly and flower quickly.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Mine have remained green all winter, but have been putting on lots of new growth. You're right, we have had a very warm winter. It's going to be 75 degrees here today! I have 3 BBs: Bicolor, Royal Red, and Ellen's Blue (it's doing great, Sandy!).

My Ribes odoratum is starting to leaf out as well, and the Blueberries are showing buds.

I've got to start some seeds indoors yet as well.

Susan

• neild1
    12 years ago

I have always been taught that the plants should be trimmed back to about a foot above ground. I am generally happier when I do not prune so drastically, but instead let the bush resume from the previous year.

• Coreanut
    12 years ago

Not sure if my msg applies as im in Australia, but if by butterfly bush you mean Budleja/buddleia, than over here they stay green all year, and pruning them back by a third after they finish flowering is the best remedy for them, and if you trim off the flowers before they die they will continue to flower on :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I grew mine from mixed seeds I got in trade so I can't vouch for the varieties on most of the ones I have growing but they all kept their leaves right through this strange winter. The leaves on a couple of them also look fresh and green. I normally cut them all back to about 10 inches sometime in March because they bloom on new wood. I may not wait that long depending on what the weather does the next few weeks.

Christie - if your smaller plant is a typical buddleia, it may not bloom if there's no new wood based on what I've read about them.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

My mom pruned hers in March, a few years ago...and it killed it. Now, I never prune my butterfly bushes, but I know most people like the bushier growth.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area