Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_anne55

Help what to feed???!!!

mary_anne55
16 years ago

Surprise...middle of the winter and the first time I have attempted this.

A beautiful swallowtail has just emerged. It's February in Ontario, can't let it out so what do I feed the little guy/girl?

Probably the other two will emerge before long as well. I kept them inside in cool basement, maybe not the right thing to have done, but....what to do now?

By the way we had a foot of snow yesterday!!!

Will post pics when my batteries charge up.

Thanks for the assistance

Comments (3)

• jmcat
    16 years ago

First of all, don't panic. BFs often go for a day before they eat anything. You can feed it a sugar-water solution made from:
    1 cup water
    1 Tbsp sugar (NOT honey or a sugar substitute)

Mix these together and put some in a container with a piece of clean sponge (I use the lid to an apple juice container). If the sponge is new, make sure you wash it well until you no longer see any soapy bubbles coming out.

Since it doesn't sound like you'll be able to release it anytime soon, you can keep it in an enclosure in your house (most BFs live for about 2 weeks). It is rather nice to be able to watch a butterfly in your house. The enclosure you use should be made of mesh or something else that will not hurt your BF's wings. I don't know if you have something like this already or not, but if you don't, you can probably make one. Hopefully, some other people on this forum will post ideas about enclosures. I hope your BF does fine!

Do you know what kind it is?

-Jmcat

• mary_anne55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jmcat
    I have the Black Swallowtail in an enclosure with the others that have not emerged. When I put the enclosure into my Dining Room which is very cool (separate enclosed room) the BS went to the top and has stayed there ever since. I am wondering if I should just put the whole thing into the sunny livingroom, also enclosed, and let the BS out to fly free in there. It will be safe in there. I will put some flowering plants and some nectar out for it, or them, should the others decide to come along!
    Do you think it may go into hibernation in the cooler room? Should I leave it there?

• jmcat
    16 years ago

If you have another enclosure, I would put the BST in it in the living room. You would want to make sure that it didn't beat itself to death trying to get out, though. I do not really think that letting it fly around free in there would be a good idea, though. The reason that I wouldn't put the current cage in there is that the sunlight might harm and/or cause the other chrysalises to eclose. I doubt that it will go into hibernation in a colder place. As far as I know, Swallowtails do not overwinter at all as adults.
    -Jmcat

Sponsored