Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly eggs on passiflora edulis ID Needed Please

Posted by siam_cannas 13 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 12:42

Hi, everyone, hope you all are doing great. its been a while since ive posted.

I saw these eggs today on my passiflora edulis. Im wondering what butterfly are they from/ gonna be?
Thanks so much for any help, here are two pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly eggs on passiflora edulis ID Needed Please

I assume they're some type of heliconius butterfly, but most heliconids/longwings lay yellow or green eggs. The only type of longwing I can find that lays red eggs is Eueides vibilia, but they're listed as red and white.
I can't see any white in those eggs - do they have any?
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Eueides vibilia

o

Hi Miss Sherry :)

nope they are just red-orange in colour.

Siam.

o

Hmmmm......they must be some type of longwing, and all longwings are beautiful, so why don't you just watch them or raise them yourself? And, of course, take pictures of them and let us know what they turn out to be!
Sherry

o
butterfly eggs

yep ive decided to raise them myself. i cant wait to see what they become.

o

The eggs hatched yesterday. The cats are tooo tiny to photograph just yet. But i did notice they all cluster together and feed. I will post pics of them in a few days.

o

Hi Everyone,

here are two pics of the caterpillars. They are 4 days old. Can anyone ID them now. please
thanks for any help :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam.

o

No, can't give you a name, but I think it's interesting that they're white, like zebra longwings in their later instars - I think Floridians have said that zebras are orange in their first instars.
Anyway, keep posting these pictures - I love the surprise factor here! Longwings don't take long to complete the cycle, so it won't take that long.
Sherry

o

well, now im getting excited, i cant wait to see what they become! They are actually brownish not white. i will post new pics in a few days.

Siam.

o

Hi,

here are some new pics of the caterpillars today. they are 7 days old now. Hope someone can ID them :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam.

o

Sorry, I've no idea. Just curious what are they eating?

o

The tiny caterpillars look almost like the Gulf Fritillary, Variegated Fritillary, Julia, or Mexican Silver Spot. More like the Gulf Frit. though.

o

Hi everyone,
so they turned out to be Dione Juno butterflies.
here are some pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam.

o

Those are really beautiful butterflies! Wish we had those here, though any stray is possible in the fall.

o

Gorgeous, gorgeous, Siam!

Sherry

o

yep they are beautiful. All eclosed on the same day!! which was most exciting. I read that only 2% of Dione Juno eggs/ caterpillars make it to maturity in the wild. yes only 2 %, but i had such great sucess. all made it :D

here's 2 more pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Siam.

o

Hi Siam,
I'm so happy for your success with rearing all the butterfly cats to adulthood. What a lovely butterfly too.
I would love to ask you if you'd show more photos of your butterfly/cat rearing container, and give instructions as to how you use it? I am going to try and rear some myself this year, and your setup looks so professional. I'd really appreciate your help and knowledge.
TY :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here