Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Out of milkweed! Need seeds!

Posted by young_at_heart Zone 9 Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:58

Hi everyone -
I have a problem in that the wintering monarchs have eaten almost every leaf of milkweed that didn't get nipped this winter. We really haven't had a winter in the Houston area. I remember exchanging seeds a few years ago when I was trying to establish my butterfly garden, but I don't remember what it's called or how to get to it. I have lots of cassia corymbosa and cassia alata seeds I would love to send to someone in exchange for a bunch of tropical milkweed seeds. If this is not the proper place to ask this - could you point me to the correct link? Thanks! This is already looking like a better butterfly year than I have had since our big freeze, then droubt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Out of milkweed! Need seeds!

Here.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Seed Exchange

o

If you don't mind the yellow-blooming A. curassavica, I could send you a little.

o

Live Monarch gives away free milkweed seed for a sase. If you put in a donation they'll send you more seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Live Monarch

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I have ordered seeds from Monarch Live. I have monarchs laying eggs on tiny little seedlings in my yard. They have eaten all the leaves from the bigger ones and left only sticks. Maybe this means it will be a great season!

o

I just received a pack of 300 seeds from Everwilde Farm for $2.75 I have them stratfying in my fridge now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here