Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall ironweed.

Posted by butterflyaddict 9ish (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 17:06

I am planting Vernonia gigantea in my butterfly garden. does this tall plant handle wind well? any thoughts are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall ironweed.

I've never grown it in my garden, but I see it growing wild roadside. It never gets as tall as the scientific name implies, so I think it'd do fine. Butterflies really like to nectar on the flowers, and I just LOVE their dark magenta color!
Sherry

o
RE: Tall ironweed. P.S.

It only gets about ?4' tall here. My idea of gigantic is joe-pye-weed, which gets 9' or 10' tall and always winds up leaning over.
Sherry

o

Thanks missshherry, I bought one from almosteden nursery and planted it two weeks ago. It has gown 5 inches already. I have it planted in moist area with joe pye, and crimson eye mallow. I've already started emptying my greenhouse and I can't wait for spring! This is my second year of Butterfly gardening and I'm totally addicted !

o

I don't have that particular species, but I have V. fasciculata, which is supposed to be a shorter version of Tall Ironwood. Mine gets about 5' tall, though, rather than 2-4' tall as it is supposed to.

We have ferocious winds in Oklahoma, and mine get knocked down to the ground last year. However, I propped it up and it was fine - no broken stems or damage.

Susan

o

I put in a single ironweed last year but I don't remember which species. I put it in late and it got up to 4'. It is still standing. Dead, but still standing.

o

KC, 2011 was the 2nd year for mine. It flowered pretty much all summer and fall. However, it didn't attract many butterflies at all, either in 2010 or 2011.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here