Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Butterfly and moth encyclopedia...book recommendations

perennialfan273
12 years ago

I'm looking for a book that has PHOTOGRAPHS (not illustrations) of as many species as possible of butterflies and moths (pretty much all lepidoptera species) found in North America. I'd also like the book to have PHOTOGRAPHS of the caterpillars. Finally, I'd like the book to have information on the host and nectar plants used to attract them.

Comments (13)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

You'd need to buy an airplane hangar to keep that book in!
    There are no books with all that information in it. I have a bookcase full of books on lepidoptera, that have most of the information that's useful to me - that's about all you can do.
    Sherry

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Too many moth species--regional books of the type you describe are available.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    12 years ago

It is vaporware right now. I'm also not holding my breath that it will ever exist.

As for nectar plants to attract them, there are lots of species that have no interest in nectar plants. They like some good scat, sap, etc, or they don't eat anything at all. And if you really think about it, a publication of this type would not include nectar plants. This is because you would be spending a lot of space covering which nectar plants the species uses in different areas of North America. If a nectar plant was mentioned, it would be because the species has a special relationship with some nectar plant, such as the moth is the only insect that can pollinate the plant.

If what you asked for did exist, I think you would quickly tire of it because so much of the information would have nothing to do with your area. I've been concentrating on getting all the Ohio info I can find. There is a lot more out there than I expected. Some research on your part might turn up a lot of info specific to your neck of the woods.

KC

Here is a link that might be useful: ATLAS OF NORTH AMERICAN LEPIDOPTERA

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

...and PHOTOGRAPHS are of surprisingly little help when trying to identify the myriad geometrids and noctuids out there. Too many pattern similarities and color variations for each species. Same for their cats.

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I have a Kaufman Field Guide. I am not nearly as scientific-y as many of our posters... but this book works well enough for me to figure out what I have wanted to know. It's a good place to start.

~Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon - Kaufman Field Guide

• mechelle_m
    12 years ago

I found a book that has photos of male and female, top and underside of the wings of most of the butterflies, eggs, caterpillars and even the chrysalis. It covers 23 common garden butterflies and host plants. Title is: The Life Cycles of Butterflies, Authors Judy Burris and Wayne Richards. Very good book and also lists host plants and nectar plants. I love this book. It is available on Amazon, but they have a limited number of copies available. I bought mine at a butterfly garden open to the public in Austin a few years ago.

Mechelle

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

So far - the books I've seen that cover butterflies, moths AND caterpillars are very general and leave out a lot of even common butterflies.

The butterfly book below is part of a set. I think there are at least two. There's one called Butterflies Through Binoculars - The WEST. I wish my library had them. I haven't seen them but they have really good reviews and I'd like to. Maybe someone here has looked at them and can comment before you order. Sorry - I know that wasn't what you were looking for exactly.

I use the Butterfliesandmoths.org website a lot. It has links for butterflies in your state or even county and in most cases, has several photos for each butterfly which is nice since some vary in appearance as Larry Gene mentioned. Sounds like you're wanting something you can carry with you but I wanted to mention it in case you hadn't come across it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflies Through Binoculars - The East

12 years ago

If you have a Kindle, Wayne Richards and Judy Burris are giving away their butterfly field guide, but the offer expires today (March 17 - I just found out about it via Facebook). I'm guessing I'm not supposed to post a link to it so search Amazon for "butterfly field guide richards kindle" That should get you where you need to be. I don't have a Kindle so I cannot take advantage of the deal.

• madame_butterfly123
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hi! i have this book that can provide you many different types of 100 species of butterflies and moths. This book can also serve as an butterfly identification guide. It has original colored pictures and text that can give you more learning's about different kinds of butterflies.This book can also be a time for you to be creative because you can color it whenever you have a time..Just for your information coloring books now a days has become one of adults best way to relax. After a long hour of work, you can try to color them, this can help you to release your stress.

here's the site

beautiful butterflies

9 years ago

As far as I can tell, the Atlas of North American Lepidoptera still does not exist (and I'm still not holding my breath. ;) )

Closest thing to what perennialfan was asking for is the Butterflies and Moths of North America website. I recommend running a checklist to see what has been recorded in your area. If a species you know exists is not on the list, this is your chance to document it and report it to the folks at the website. You'll find that moths are very under-reported unless you live in a county where someone else was busy documenting what lived there.

Regional Species Checklists

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

I have a general book that I have found worth what I paid for it

Because I am interested in insects.

It is titled Field Guide To INSECTS AND SPIDERS of NORTH

AMERICA.

The book is sponsored by the National Wildlife Federation.

It is soft cover,and abt 8"x 5".

It has abt 497 pages,and contents seem to be almost a

"mini text" in entomology for a hobbyist.

The moth section runs for abt 42 pages with 123 individual

Moth color photos.The photos are abt 2 1/2"x2 1/2".

I counted abt 65 caterpillar photos scattered thru the moth

Photos in small window inserte,I suppose they used what they had.

Photos were generally stacked on the right side of the page

Usually three to a page with text to the left side on the same page.

The text gave information for each moth's photo,with

Common name,Latin name,and size in inches and mm.

Range,and life ways were given for the moth.

The caterpillars were usually discussed,also.

I recognised some moths and cats I have seen here from

This book.I live in south AL in mixed Eastern woodlands.

The front cover of the book folds open to show accurate

Line drawings of insect anatomy to include some interesting

Drawings of heads that depict evolutionary adaptation of

Mouth parts.

There is a section in the back abt collecting,classifying,

Also setting up aquariums for aquatic insects(which I did)

And a glossary,a pronunciation guide,a Orders of

Arthropods in North America list,and a Endangered list.

The book is $19.95 U.S.

DD

9 years ago

Really straying from the topic when you are moving on to general insect books. That said, I have the NWF book and it is a useful arrow in the quiver but my copy of Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America goes with me while NWF stays home if I don't have room for both.

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

KC I think I'll look it up on Amazon.Yes,I have been interested in

Insects( and spiders)all my life.I especially like to observe them

At their activities in the field.I am glad I live where I can do that

By just going outside my house.

DD