Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stowaway cabbage butterfly eclosed in my basement

Posted by weedlady Central OH 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 17:50

Never knew it, but there evidently was a chrysalis hidden somewhere among some of the stuff (nursery pots) I brought in from the garden late last fall. Went downstairs to sort laundry yesterday morning and was very startled to see it fluttering about. Caught it pretty easily and put it into the small terrarium I had used for monarchs in the summer. Now what?? Our daytime temps here in central Ohio are barely in the 40s and fall down to below freezing at night. As a gardener, I am certainly no fan of the white cabbage butterfly and used Bt on my Brussels sprouts with a clear conscience, but now it's here, I do not want it to suffer. I hate to say this in a butterfly forum, but would simply putting it outside give it a more merciful/quicker death than starvation? I'm open to other suggestions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stowaway cabbage butterfly eclosed in my basement

In a freezer for 3 days.

or

The pinning experts would kill it by giving the thorax a quick pinch.

or

Blunt force trauma works too.

o

Well, I would not want it to suffer either, but would probably put it outside and let it fend for itself. Those "cabbage worms" ate so many holes in my kale last year. I kept picking off the cats and putting them in the bird's tray feeder, the Chickadees loved to munch them up. Next year I'm getting some BT!

o

Well, I do confess to discovering a bunch of cats defoliating the Brussels sprouts after I had been negligent in applying the Bt; they ended up as snacks for the largemouth bass in the neighbor's pond. A quite satisfying few minutes of entertainment... Did the same last summer with the denizens of a couple of webworm nests I cut out of the black walnut tree.
But the winged forms are just so much cuddlier. :-)

I put the critter outside this afternoon; its fate is in Mother Nature's hands now.

o

Weedlady, that is what I would have done. I can not bring myself to kill any butterfly, whatever it may be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here