Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can leaves be frozen?

Posted by shannon74 TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 18:11

Hi there

Pruning my meyer lemon and orange trees and hate to lose the leaves, may need them when the GSTs come this spring. Is it possible to freeze them?

Thanks!
Shannon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can leaves be frozen?

You could, but then when they thawed out, they'd undoubtedly be limp and mushy, and the chemicals that the GSTs need would probably be gone.
Pruning encourages lots of new growth, though, and that's what the Mama butterflies look for to lay their eggs on, so, unless your trees are very small and you scalp them, pruning would be beneficial. It's dangerous to over prune a real young tree, might kill it.
Sherry

o

Some leaves can last a LONG time in ziploc bags in the fridge. Late last month, I threw out maple, walnut, and sweetgum leaves I put in the fridge months ago. The maple leaves were still good (I KNOW not all maples will do this).

I'd say toss your leaves in the fridge (not the freezer) and see what happens.

Even if the leaves do hold up, I don't know that the GST cats will eat them. Not all caterpillars will use refrigerated leaves. Monarchs have always done it for me. This past autumn, I found that polyphemus, cecropia, and Io would rather starve.

o

Thanks everyone. These are established trees and will probably go crazy in the spring, so I will not worry. I may try the fridge thing though!! Thx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here