Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

My Waystation helped save our neighborhood

todancewithwolves
16 years ago

My Waystation helped save our neighborhood.

On a little corner of our street a developer wanted to build 3 story 12 unit townhouses. Our neighborhood been fighting this for over two years.

Last Thursday I went to the city counsel meeting and stood up to voice my concerns. My last statement was this and I quote -

Mr. Commissioner, please take into consideration that my property is certified as wildlife habitat. I am one of very few places in Contra Costa County that is officially certified as a Monarch Waystation. I raise and release Monarch butterflies in my garden along with several other species of native Lepidoptera and Hymenoptera. Additional congestion of our neighborhood is of vital concern to the welfare of our declining native species".

The final decision was the developer had to down size his project to a two story duplex.

After the meeting one of the commissioners wanted to know more about my habitat. The local park is working on creating a habitat and asked if I'd be interested in helping.

Thank you Monarch Watch!!!

Comments (20)

• janetg57
    16 years ago

Way to go! You not only saved the habitat, but got yourself a project, too. Keep up the great work!

Janet

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

How fantastic!!
    Sherry

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

Edna,

You made me cry this morning. How WONDERFUL! That is the best thing I've heard...I cannot believe this occurred at a city meeting. I can't wait to read it to my husband. Brava! You go girl! :) We've had similar issues in our neighborhood with bringing up children's's safety relating to additional congestion and that didn't didn't do a thing. Knowing that people in your neighborhood are concerned from an environmental perspective...now THAT at least makes me believe that at least some have a LITTLE heart left...

XOXOX,
    CalSherry

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

Great job on saving the native species!

I hate seeing new houses being built. Because deep down, I know that some species is getting that much closer to extinction. And for what a bigger house? A newer house? I'd rather remodel our current house and save a species or two, not to mention our planet! Sure, it may be laborious and a little inconvenient, but the planet and wildlife is worth it.

• texaspuddyprint
    16 years ago

That is indeed wonderful news! Am so happy and proud for you!!!

~ Cat

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It amazes me our voices were heard, yet alone considered. I'm sure the developer was steaming under the collar.

I hope they were tears of joy, Cal Sherry. You have no idea how important your role was in all this. You gave me my first seeds, you gave me my first eggs and I learned a great deal from you. I applaud you and will be forever grateful.

Thank you ALL for sharing your experiences in this forum.

Edna

• butterfly15_ca
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Thank you for bringing more butterflies to the Bay Area! I have noticed a severe drop in Monarch populations. They can, however, find refuge in my garden: I have at least three separate colonies of our native narrow-leaved milkweed.

I originally started with one plant. One day, I decided I needed to move the plant to a new location. In the process, I cut off a tiny piece of root and left it in the ground. A few weeks later, milkweed was sprouting!

I repeated this process to multiply my plants. I also have fennel for anise swallowtails and several containers of California pipevine, which I have been raising for a few years. I have a container of hops vine for red admirals, as well as a passion vine for gulf fritillaries. On at least one occasion, a gulf fritillary visited my passion vine.

Last year, I had dozens of pipevine caterpillars!

Again, congratulations Edna. And thank you, too!

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

You'd better BELIEVE they were tears of joy! :)

I read your post to my DH and even HE got choked up! (he won't want to admit it, I'm sure...nah, he'd admit it as he is that type) It is so remarkable, you know, that this was all because of Y-O-U, standing up, and speaking! I am SO proud of you and what you've accomplished, Edna.

I remember your hesitance waaaay back when you first began. Now look at you! Woo-hoo! Makes me so proud. I didn't do much but send you a few things. YOU did it! :) Hooray!

This morning I am going to go to a little Monarch 'celebration' at Shipley Nature Center. This is the same place that refused to plant anything BUT Narrow-leaf Milkweed (which now they have NO Milkweed to speak of). I've advertised at my school and with every child in my class. I do hope some children attend. :) I hope I see some Monarchs! (Last weekend I was at the park across the street and saw at LEAST 50 Monarchs but apparently they refuse to cross the street to go over to the center, according to a friend of mine who is working the event.)

OH, I found TWO Monarch larvae this week, if you can believe it, in my backyard. I thought I was done with the cats but I guess not...a 3rd and 4th instar, no less!

• jmcat
    16 years ago

Great job! Just out of curiosity, what species of Hymenoptera do you raise?
    -Jmcat

• napapen
    16 years ago

Wow, that was brave and wonderful. I've been to those meetings and stood up and talked on other issues and I get so nervous. Developers want to keep opening up new places and it is a problem for all of nature.

I am getting an additional area ready for summer by planting all types of butterfly magnets. I've also started mixing my milkweed types together so that if some is lingering possibly the other will attract. Monarchs were very scarce last year.

Penny

• emmayct
    16 years ago

Edna, what a great thing you accomplished! Some people look at an open area and can only see dollar signs. I live in an area where development is excessive, even with the mortgage crisis going on. It's because we live right on the coast and land is valuable, even the most ecologically fragile land which requires a lot of money to develop.

Just up the street, they tore down an old mill which was indeed an eyesore, but they also ripped up a natural area near a pond, because this is where the high end condos will go.

However, in a very pristene area of town, they keep voting down a guy who wants to develop on the steep, rocky banks of an estuary. It's just much too intensive use of the land. He even tried to claim the town was "racist" because they wouldn't allow his project. That's crazy because the few parcels that were deemed low income, were still higher priced than I'd ever be able to afford! With the way the housing market's going, he may thank his lucky stars he wasn't allowed to proceed.

Maryann in CT

• bernergrrl
    16 years ago

Congratulations! And what an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Edna -- that's such wonderful news! Congrats!
    Cameron

• linda_centralokzn6
    16 years ago

Edna, how wonderful! It took true courage to stand up to the Commissioners. What a blessing that they really listened. If only more would....

Keep us posted.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You choked me up, Cal Sherry. I totally forgot how fearful I was in the beginning. It has been an incredible experience and has totally expanded my life. I have the greatest respect for bugs and find them so fascinating.

Jmcat, mostly bee's. I have a mason bee condo but it seems the leaf cutters use it mostly. I have carpenter bee's and other species of bee's but no clue as to the names. Below are a few pictures.

Iddy bitty bee.
    {{gwi:434339}}

Unknown
    {{gwi:434340}}

Honey bee?
    {{gwi:434341}}

One species of Carpenter
    {{gwi:425654}}

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

Wow, what FAB pictures, Edna! I have Carpenter Bees, too! The first time I encountered the little (um, BIG) buggers, I about freaked out! Then, I realized how they just would go about THEIR business as I went about MINE so we were both harmoniously doing our own things... ;P Of course, I haven't a clue as to where they're nesting down as I've not seen any evidence in OUR yard...I do so love seeing the pollen on them. :) We have loads of bees in our yard, too. Seems interesting when I read about all the bee diseases that are devastating the populations everywhere when we've got 'em by the gazillions in MY backyard...thank goodness they leave ME and the dog alone. Is it any wonder I have so many seedpods? tee-hee!

Keep up the wonderful work, my dear. I am SO proud of you. I keep telling people of what you've accomplished up north...YAY! Woo-hoo! Gooooooo butterflies! Go bugs!

(no, I was NOT a cheerleader in high school...was always considered a GEEK even if I didn't look like one...)

• bernergrrl
    16 years ago

I just heard an interesting segment on NPR. The topic of discussion was the spread of disease from wild animals to humans (bear with me--I'll connect to this thread), and the reason is human encroachment on undeveloped areas. This argument may end up being a powerful one for conservation--and we are just beginning to understand the role insects and microorganisms(even our butterflies) play in sustaining human health. So, Todancewithwolves, you may have played a role in helping out the local insect populations and may indirectly be helping humans out!

Unfortunately, many people are not convinced by conserving for conservation's sake, but many people tend to be motivated by human-centric reasons--profit and convenience are a couple that come to mind. But we are all connected--the health of humans is directly related to the health of all animals, no matter or large or teeny-tiny like the microorganisms in the soil!

I may someday try to get my town certified by the National Wildlife Federation' Backyard Conservation program, but it's a huge undertaking.

• napapen
    16 years ago

I always have a ton of various bees including the honey type because I am between two sets of hives. Carpenters bees almost demolished my old hot house by tunneling into 2 X 4s the long way. I had tolerated them for a couple of years and they took over. I had to solve the problem when they started on one of my sheds with cockroach killer. I have paper wasps all over and we coexist easily together. I talk to them and they are not aggressive.

I think bernergrrl is correct about the action between us and nature that some people are so eager to disregard.

Penny

• organic_fernando
    16 years ago

That's awesome. In Wisconsin we have tons of species that are well protected. But many of them migrate to southern states where property seems to be much more valued than living things. Your words are a relief to Badgers like me. Thank you! A little determination and pluck can do a lot in a democracy. Thank you so much.

• brandymulvaine
    16 years ago

The connection between our environment and us is so big most people just don't see it. A famous man once said "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left." that man was Albert Einstein. If our pollinators are gone what will we eat? I'm so thankful you spoke up for the "little guys"!I hope I can make my yard a waystation someday. B

Sponsored