Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush Attack...Help!

Posted by coolbutterfly 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 21:40

Hi All,

I potted a butterfly bush in the fall and brought it indoors to escape the frigid Minnesota winter.

Much to my dismay, the bush was being DEVOURED recently...and the temp outside has been below zero until the last couple days.

I moved the plant upstairs in the bathtub and tonight, ran in and threw on the lights....and there they were!!!! Found 6 and disposed of them. I'm assuming they hatched in the soil and hid in the soil during daylight. What are they????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush Attack...Help!

They are weevils, a type of beetle. They typically make notches on leaf edges, but given just one plant to eat, they may destroy entire leaves. I would think a few nights of keeping after them would reduce the population to zero. Weevils do hang out in soil at the base of plants. Often they will notch the leaves of one plant while adjacent plants remain uneaten. Perhaps you have seen such notched plants in your yard.

o

Thanks Larry, it sounds like the weevils will be a pretty easy problem to solve (if it's not solved already)

I never imagined there could be garden pests in Minnesota...in February!

o

One more question about weevils...are the garden variety usually bigger than the kind found in home? These little suckers were easily 3/4" long. Or were they just extra "fat and happy" from the butterfly bush?

o

There are many species of weevils, they can very greatly in size. Your all-black weevil looks similar to the ones common around here that may be 3/4" long if you include the antennae.

The size of the adult weevil would depend on how "fat and happy" it was in the grub stage, not on what it was eating as an adult.

In the outdoor garden, many people apply sticky tape or substances to the base of the plant that prevent the weevil from ascending.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here