Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for Tropical Container Plants

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 22:02

Hey, everyone, I always plant a few containers every year with flowering tropicals that will (hopefully) attract butterflies. Some of I have used in previous years include:

Hamelia patens
Stachytarpheta jamaicensis coccinea (Dwarf Red Porterweed)
Allamanda cathartica
Justicia brandegeeana (Red Shrimp Plant)
Malvaviscus arboreus var drummondii (Turk's Cap)
Tecoma stans

Plants I'm considering:

Clerodendrum bungei
Abutilon megapotamicum
Stachytarpheta jamaicensis (Blue Porterweed)
Cuphea micropetela (Giant Cigar Plant)
Ruttya fruticosa (Jammy Mouth)
Callistemon viminalis 'Little John'
Tecoma guarume 'Miami Sunset'
Tecoma stans elata (bright orange)
Orthosiphon labiatus - Cat's Whiskers (lavender/pink)
Stachytarpheta franzii - Purple Porterweed
Pavonia lasiopetela - Texas Rockrose
Jatropha integerrima - Spicy Jatropha
Tropical Hibiscus

If anybody has grown these tropicals in your garden and found that butterflies are attracted to them, I would appreciate your comments. I'm only going to pick about 4 of them. I "wish" I could afford to try them all!

Thanks!!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for Tropical Container Plants

Susan, I grow the coral porterweed in my garden, and I've grown the blue, red and purple in the past. All but the red attracted butterflies in a huge way. The red one never grew much, so maybe its small size and few blooms made it less attractive than the others.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I also grow turk's cap, and butterflies and hummingbirds both love it, especially the sulphurs, gulf frits, and palamedes swallowtails - they're a real magnet for cloudless sulphurs and hummers.
I grew abutilon in a container once, because I'd read it was a big nectar plant for butterflies or hummers, but never saw a single butterfly visiting it, a real bust. If I were you, I'd nix that one!
I've had giant cigar plant in my garden for several years now. When it's in bloom, hummers and butterflies visit it occasionally, but it only blooms in a big way once a year, in late summer/early fall. It made a few blooms in spring last year, so maybe it's like buttonbush - with age, it blooms more often. Mine has to return from the roots every spring, which it's already doing now, and regrow every year, so maybe in a container, it'd bloom earlier and more often, I don't know.
Sherry

o
RE: Suggestions for Tropical Container Plants

The Giant Cigar Plant certainly is a gorgeous plant, too, MissSherry! I had Turk's Cap for one year, but it did not attract anything that I know of. I will try the Coral Porterweed. The Red did attract a lot hummers - they adored it, and I will probably grow it again. The Cloudless Sulphurs, Monarchs, and Gulf Frits also love it as well. I am just looking at different things to change it up a bit.

I will definitely nix the Abutilon! Thanks for your expert advice!

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here