Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Swallowtail enclosing early

Posted by tnu07mom z8 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 7:17

I had some black swallowtails overwintering in my attic. With our strange winter and this weeks warm temperatures being forecast, I went up to bring them down and put them in the refrigerator for a few weeks. To my surprise I found a newly enclosed butterfly. He had just enclosed this morning since the fluid on the bottom of the aquarium was still wet.
We have trees flowering everywhere and warm temps forecast for the next couple of weeks. I am hoping he can survive. I am considering calling our local science center's butterfly lady first to see if they have an indoor exhibit. My question is what to do with the other two chrysalis? They all formed within a few days of each other. Do I leave them, or can I cool them down now? I am afraid it may be too late if they are close to enclosing,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Swallowtail enclosing early

I think it's too late. Besides, from what I've heard on the weather, spring has sprung, at least they're not showing any near-future cold spells here, probably not in SC.
My third black swallowtail has emerged this morning, a female. I'll release her some time today.
Congrats on your butterfly!
Sherry

o
RE: Black Swallowtail enclosing early

Glad to know mine aren't the only ones. I left him drying his wings in the aquarium. I may move him to my butterfly cage for the night and release him in the morning since It will be after 5 when I get home. I willget some flowers to put in there for nectar. My friend has plenty of flowering quince, blueberry bushes and bradford pears, so that is where I am releasing him.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here