Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscotty12321

Plant ID Help - Milkweed or Dogbane?

mscotty12321
13 years ago

Can anyone help me identify this plant? I hope it is a milkweed, but more indications are pointing to dogbane. Are there any sure indicators? It has not bloomed yet, but it has had dogbane moth caterpillars. Not a promising sign.

I have pictures and more information at my prairie garden blog: http://planobluestem.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-this-milkweed-or-just-weed.html

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plano Prairie Garden

Comments (10)

• angie83
    13 years ago

I would just break a leaf off and see if it bleeds white sap then its milkweed .
    Angie

• mscotty12321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Angie. I bleeds white sap, but so does dogbane. That is why identification is difficult.

• angie83
    13 years ago

Thats the only way I can tell sorry I couldnt help more never seen dogbane but your pic sure looks like milkweed if you see yellow bugs on it its for sure a milkweed hehehehe.My poor milkweed has to get sprayed every other day from this pests. Angie

• mscotty12321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish it would get aphids, then I would know for sure. Angie, have you tried removing the aphids with a strong stream of water from a hose? It works pretty well and you don't have to worry about toxic pesticides that could kill monarchs and their caterpillars. Of course, you don't want to wash off the caterpillars when you spray the aphids.

• angie83
    13 years ago

Yep every other day I have to shoot the water to them they really bad on my family jewels milkweed its big so it gets them worst and it hates water I might get blower out wish they made a vacum so you could just suk them bugs up in it like a dust buster.And no caterpillars here yet on my milkweed havent seen even one monark this year sad.

Angie

• ericwi
    13 years ago

I have been able to positively identify dogbane, growing near Lake Monona, in Yahara Park, located here in Madison, Wisconsin. It has milky sap, and the leaves look a lot like milkweed leaves. However, the stems will have a reddish tint, that is not hard to see. Your plant has green stems, so I suspect it is milkweed, not dogbane. When it flowers you should be able to make a positive ID. I grow three types of milkweed in our yard, Asclepias tuberosa, A. incarnata, and A. syriaca.

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

I have looked at your photo, and it's hard to tell. The leaves seem less waxy looking than the larger milkweed leaves. I haven't had much experience with Dogbane, but grow lots of different varieties of milkweed. It's definitely not Sullivan's MW. I am including a link to Monarch Watch's website where you will find photos of various milkweeds and descriptions. You will find leaf photos on this site. Hope this is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed guide

• terrene
    13 years ago

It looks similar to A. syriaca or A. sullivanti, but it's not either of those species. What do the flowers look like? That would nail the ID quickly. From the growth habit in the July 23rd picture, I'm leaning towards a Dogbane.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm thinking dogbane, too, but seeing the flower would clinch it. Also, doesn't milkweed have hollow stems, unlike the solid stems of dogbane?

• mscotty12321
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Follow up: I think everyone that thought the mystery plant was dogbane was probably correct. Monarchs always passed over it and went straight to the plants that I knew for sure were milkweed. Besides that, it began spreading aggressively which is not allowed in my garden. I dug it out as best I could, but it kept popping up everywhere all summer long. I am sure I will have to stay on top of it next summer as well.

Sponsored