Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why doesn't my butterfly bush bloom?

Posted by rickardo 5 Denver suburb (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 10:06

I have a purple butterfly bush plented in 2004. It's only bloomed once or twice since then and only small blooms. I've tried pruning it in winter and I've tried letting it grow. Need help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why doesn't my butterfly bush bloom?

Is it getting enough sun?
Pruning in winter is not advisable, as you don't know what you're cutting. Try pruning in Spring after the buds have started growing.
Try fertilizing c Bloom Builder in Spring.

o
RE: Why doesn't my butterfly bush bloom?

I would think the problem is not enough sun. It could also be a nutrient imbalance. Too much nitrogen relative to phosphorus and potassium can cause lots of green growth without much flowering.

Pruning should not be an issue since they bloom on new wood. I cut mine down to about a foot tall in the spring. You can wait to prune until you see new growth to determine how far the die-back was in winter. Leaving it up in winter protects the plant somewhat and provides winter interest too.

For me the store-bought butterfly bushes always performed poorly. They usually only lasted a year or two and never got any size to them. Then I wintersowed some seed I got in a swap and have had the resulting plants for almost 5 years now. The one in full sun shoots up to almost 7' tall every summer after cutting back to 12" in spring. It is loaded with blooms that I deadhead to keep it blooming until a hard frost. I have never fertilized it, but we do have a more clay based soil that retains nutrients. I think some of the more cultivated varieties and hybrids have probably sacrificed hardiness and vigorousness for the sake of compact size and new colored blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here