Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

'Lady in Red' Texas Sage - question

Mary Leek
10 years ago

'Lady in Red' is one of my most successful summer bloomers. It reseed's itself, year to year, and does so beautifully in our hot and humid summers here in mid Arkansas. Once blooming begins, it will flower continuously until the first frost.

My question is, if you grow this plant, have you ever noticed very small caterpillars feeding on the flower buds before they have a chance to open? In the past, I have pinched off the flower spikes and tossed them. This goes on for a while until whatever it is seems to have gotten past the egg laying stage. The caterpillars are very small and dark brown and they eat the unopened flower buds, not the leaves. I hate to think I'm killing off something I shouldn't be but when I leave them alone, they destroy the blooms over a long period of time.

Would anyone know what might feed on the flower buds of this sage? Have you ever heard of a butterfly or moth cat eating only the flowers of a plant?

Mary

{{gwi:5116}}

Comments (10)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Are the cats smooth or spiny? Do they make "nests" or eat out in the open? Are they gregarious, or do they eat alone?

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what I recall, they are smooth, no spines that I remember and there are quite a few tiny cats on each flower spike so I would say they are gregarious feeders. They are quite small or perhaps it's because I see the damage early and dispose of them before they have much growth.

This coming season I'll try to take a photo, something I've not yet tried to do. It is strange as they seem to only be attracted to this particular flower bud. When you read about this variety of sage, one of the pro's for the plant is that it is rarely bothered by pests.

Do you think they might be some type of moth caterpillar?

Mary

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Probably moth, or even beetle larvae. You can bring a few in next time and raise them out, just to see what you get. Fun times :)
    When I run across pest species, notably Japanese Beetle grubs, I put them in the bird feeder. Woodpeckers love them! Adult beetles go into my Pitcher Plant.

• susanlynne1948
    10 years ago

Hi, Mary! It's Southern Pink Moth, or Pink Southern Moth, Pyrausta inornatalis. It's a pretty little thing, but terribly destructive. Yes, it does eat the flowers, and the very new leaves. I finally had to resort to using BT kurastaki early in the season to rid the garden of it, because it ate all the Salvias, including Black & Blue, Cherry Queen, Hot Lips, and Lady in Red. While it's not limited to consuming Salvia, they are a favorite. It is more of a pest than a something you want to stick around.

Susan

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful salvia, Mary!
    I'll have to find a spot for some in my garden.

Sherry

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan,

Thank you so much for this helpful information. Yes, I looked up the Southern Pink Moth and I do see them flying around among the plants. It is a pretty little moth. I hate to destroy the babies but they ruin the flowers before they even open so if I plan to grow this sage, I guess the little ones will continue to be tossed.

Mary

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sherry,

It is so nice to see you posting. Yes, do try this plant. I think you'll find it a great addition to your garden. The really nice thing is it will reseed so once you grow it, you will most likely always have them. The seedlings are easy to transplant to a more welcome spot or to remove if you don't want them. Full sun and good drainage.

I was at my local garden center yesterday and I noticed the 'Lady in Red' Texas Sage is being offered in 6 packs, something I've never noticed before.

I can stand on my deck and look down on the garden. Once this sage begins to bloom, I can see the flower spikes waving and if I watch closely, I can spot the reason, a hummer feeding on the blooms.

Mary

• Tom
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I have this flower. I have at least two types of red salvias that seem to bloom all the time and reseed like crazy. How do you distinguish it from the Salvia coccinea--scarlet sage?

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do the flowers and leaves of your plant look the same as the ones in my photo? Is it possible your plant is the same and was sold under a different name? Sometimes the same plant is commonly known by a different name, depending on the region.

Perhaps try googling the name you know your plant by and see if it has any AKA's.

My original plants came from purchased seed that was labeled by the name I use and when I look up the plant online, it appears to be the same plant as the one I grow.

On the Burpee's seed site, shown below, the description reads:

"Salvia, Lady In Red
    Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.
    All-America Selection Winner. Lady In Red is a superb selection of the wildflower, Salvia coccinea, with its open and airy bright red, 6-8" spikes. Sow seeds indoors 8 weeks before last frost. Native wildflower."

I would understand this to mean 'Lady in Red' is a superior performing version of the wildflower, Salvia coccinea. Perhaps you have the wildflower version of this plant, if not 'Lady in Red'.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee's seed description

• Tom
    10 years ago

Not sure which one or ones I have, Mary. I have a yard that is almost a quarter acre and these flowers come up in many places. Some look exactly like the picture of yours, others look like smaller flowers. Anyway, they are good for hummingbirds and the sulphurs like them as well.