Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help, Please

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 12:44

Looks like I'm starting out where I left off...in need of either confirmation or correction.

Spring has arrived early here this year. I have been seeing Cabbage Whites for a few weeks, so I wasn't surprised to see this pale yellow butterfly fluttering just above my Common Ivy bed. It pitched on an ivy leaf and I approached reasonably close to see if it was a Cabbage White. It showed no skittishness so I went inside and got my camera. I approached fairly close and it stayed put. I made several exposures, with and without, flash. The markings seem to indicate Clouded Sulphur to me, but it was slightly smaller than a typical Cabbage White.

Thanks,

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help, Please

I agree, I think it's a female clouded sulphur.
You always make the most beautiful pictures, Bob! Keep posting them!

I made this picture a few hours ago of a palamedes swallowtail nectaring on my most brilliantly colored native azalea. This one is a hybrid cultivar of Rhododendron austrinum called 'Scarlet Ibis' - it always knocks my socks off in spring!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sherry

o

The native azaleas are certainly among the most vivid! Really good shot of a swallowtail variety that I am not lucky enough to have seen in my area.

Thanks for the ID confirmation.

Bob

o

• Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 21:50

I saw my first ever Palamedes yesterday while we were waiting in the open train car at Thomas the Train with my grandson. There were lots of butterflies at the edge of this wooded area. We saw Monarchs, Zebra Longwings, Sulphurs, Giants, and the Palamedes. Lots of nectaring on the native Lantana. There had to have been more plants there hidden in the undergrowth that we couldn't see for the variety of species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here