Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

First Swallowtail of the Spring!

MissSherry
11 years ago

And it was a male tiger! I had my camera in my pocket, but he flew by quickly, didn't stop, so I couldn't get a picture.

Maybe spring is finally here for real!

Sherry

Comments (9)

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Sweet!! Still got a ways to go up here....

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I've seen two tigers, although I couldn't be sure on the actual species of tiger for either one. The first I spotted a couple weeks back in the city and then early this week one around my place...just flying around! No picture on either one. There was also a dark butterfly one day that I think was a Black Swallowtail. Still waiting to spot a Monarch this year.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I released my first over-wintered BST & it was a male!
    Later that day...I couldn't believe it...I saw a female BST ovipositing on a tiny plant in one of my BF beds! It seems so early here but maybe spring has finally arrived in North Texas!!! The Mexican plums are starting to bloom! They are the first nectar flowers in my & the BFs love them!
    HAPPY SPRING!!!!
    Lila

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Sweet...
    I'm just showing a hint of growth on my Antennaria...
    Not nearly as exciting as hatching a beauty like the one pixed.
    Congrats on your ELF as well (Egg Laying Female) :-)
    I'm hoping the snow will melt one day...

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats, congrats, Lila!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Cool sightings, everyone! And Lila, glad to hear about the egg-laying Black Swallowtail. I am seeing butterflies around here, but they are really skittish. Hoping for a good butterfly adventure tomorrow afternoon. Sightings include Gray Hairstreak, ? Roadside Skipper, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Dainty Sulphur, Goatweed Leafwing, Mourning Cloak, Am Lady, and a Variegated Fritillary. The last one seems really early, but the violets are up.

• Tony G
    11 years ago

congratulations on all the early butterflies! We are supposed to get 10 inches of snow on Monday. :(

It's shocking to think that my first BSTs hatched on April 1st last year...that will definitely NOT happen this year.

Get that camera ready Miss sherry! I look forward to seeing some great shots soon, Tony

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another female pipevine swallowtail emerged yesterday, late, and I released her this morning. A male tiger swallowtail emerged in the cage, early, so I released him yesterday afternoon. We really need a male pipevine swallowtail and a female tiger around here!
    I saw my first buckeye of the season a few days ago, and I also saw a newly emerged hairstreak that was black and still somewhat wet looking. When it flew, you could see blue, so I'm wondering if it was a great purple hairstreak - it was big for a hairstreak. I haven't seen one in several years, so I hope that's what it was!

I'm going to the local nursery today and see if she has milkweed/A. curassavica, which she carries every year. I'm going to go ahead and plant it in my meadows, even though it's not really native here. It thrives here where other milkweeds fail, so A. curassavica it will be!

Sherry

• butterflyaddict
    11 years ago

First GST passed thru the garden a few times this weekend. A clouded Sulphur has been making daily vists for a week now. And one Red admiral made an erratic path thru last week. I'm ready for more!!

We had a light freeze about two weeks ago (my memory sucks) and I found two dead monarchs and a Gulf Frit.

Sponsored