Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie83_gw

Where can you get porterweed ?

angie83
17 years ago

Hi Iv looked every were for this porterweed I had some and it didnt come back from winter I cant find the seeds anywere. Anyone know where I can find it is it onder another name maybe I just missed it.

Comments (12)

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

If you are talking about the blue kind, most Lowe's, HD and Wal-MArts carry it. There are now other colors like white and coral that are pretty but I don't see as much as the blue.

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

I've never found it locally either, so I've ordered mine from Almost Eden in DeRidder, LA. I had purple and coral last year, my coral is coming back strongly, but my purple hasn't shown any new growth at the bottom yet - maybe the coral is more cold hardy?
    I bought some blue porterweed at Calloway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA, several years ago, so if you ever visit, you might find some at their nursery.
    MissSherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost Eden

• mimidi
    17 years ago

I ordered my coral from Almost Eden. I did find red and purple at Lowe's last year.

• mechelle_m
    17 years ago

I am also in zone 9, TX and found porterweed at Arbor Gate Nursery in Tomball. Don't know if this is at all close to you or not, but they had it last year. It appears that my porterweed did not survive the winter, I cut it back and it still has not put on any new growth.

• angie83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thx you all I hope to get some this week .Ill check out the places you all told me about and if none there ill order from Almost Eden thxs again

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Can you give me the latin name for Porterweed? I'm not too good with common names.

Susan

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

Now that I think about it, I did buy some red porterweed at Lowe's a few years ago, but it never did grow much and only bloomed sparingly. I found out later it was a dwarf - butterflies like big, blossom-filled plants. As far as I know, all the red porterweeds are dwarfs.
    Susan, the scientific name for porterweed is stachytarpheta urticifolia. Porterweed is mostly just visited by the smaller butterflies - long-tailed skippers just LOVE it!
    MissSherry

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

Miss Sherry - here in Florida lots of butterflies use it. I have it right outside my window here by my computer and it is visited by the ZLWs, Monarchs, Polys, as well as the LTSs. Mine did not die back this year so it is above window height now. It spreads like crazy and I find babies all over. I haven't tried the other colors, just the bluish purple.

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

That's great, Mary!
    The bigger butterflies occasionally visited mine, but they never stayed long, just drifted over to the Mexican sunflowers, lantana, butterfly bush, or Mexican flame vine flowers. The little ones were the only ones to really stay on the porterweed flowers for me.
    It's a good nectar plant anyway!
    MissSherry

• dena_tx
    17 years ago

I just purple porterweed at Joshua's down in the Height of Houston. My coral porterweed is coming back and I still have hopes that my blue will come back, but still no seedlings or growth. I saved some seeds from a couple of years ago if you want to give some a try let me know.

• dena_tx
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention that they usually have several different colors/types of porterweed at the Houston of Natural Science Cockrell butterfly Plant sale. That is where I bought a red and a coral porterweed. This years Spring Plant Sale is advertised for Saturday, April 14, 9 a.m. Â 3 p.m. They usually have it on the roof of the parking garage and parking is free with plant purchase.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cockrell Butterfly Plant sale

• biosparite
    17 years ago

You can get porterweed and much more in Houston by attending the BEST-NABA meetings at the Houston Museum of Natural Science on the first Tuesday of March through October, 7 p.m. Members are happy to share plants and caterpillars, too.