Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

First Pipevine Swallowtail Eggs and Wren's Nest

MissSherry
12 years ago

A female pipevine swallowtail - probably the one I released a couple of weeks ago - hung out in the garden in the middle of the day, typical egg-laying time. So I came back later and found just one cluster of eggs, but it's a big one -

{{gwi:457189}}
I also released two more pipevine swallowtails, a male and the second female of the season. The female was a big one, and I imagine it won't be too long before she'll be laying eggs out there, too.

The red admiral girls are still laying eggs right and left, and the sleepy orange caterpillars have become visible! :)

I know this isn't a bird forum, but I've got to share these pictures of a Carolina wren's nest. A friend of ours climbed some of our oak trees to repair some hurricane damage several years ago. He left his climbing spikes here, he forgot to come get them and we forgot to bring them back to him for a long time, and then his legs were badly injured in a car wreck, so he told us to just keep them. Wrens have made nests in some interesting places before, like my potted plants or on a little ledge area under the front porch, but this was too funny!

{{gwi:457190}}
And here's the five eggs -

{{gwi:457191}}
Sherry

Comments (9)

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Awwwwww, I love the Carolina Wrens. So cute, and not very shy at all. What an endeavor to build a nest in that location!

I've got a couple of small birds hiding out in my big honeysuckle right now, by the suet feeder I put out. I can't get close enough to ID them right now, the Honeysuckle is such a tangled web of foliage and stems, and they holler at me to get back in the house so they can have access to their suet. I love the birds, too, so thanks for sharing the photo.

Now, that is one big batch of eggs on that little stem! Maybe she's saving her energy by laying them all at once.

Susan

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Those wrens are so darned funny! Can you believe that such a little bird has such a BIG voice?

Dorie

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They sure do have big voices! TEA KETTLE, TEA KETTLE, TEA KETTLE!
    I'm a total nature nut, Susan, love the butterflies, birds, even the frogs and bugs!
    I'll be checking the vines for more pipevine swallowtail eggs.
    Sherry

• caterwallin
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks like she left you the mother lode there, Sherry! ;-) I think the most I ever had in a bunch was about 24. They're my very favorite caterpillar to raise. I love to put a few lengths of vine in a big storage container and watch the cats scurry along on their way to somewhere that I guess they have in mind. They always make it look like it's urgent. Ha.

That's a Carolina wren for ya, building a nest in such a strange place. One year I had a pair build a nest on one of the shelves in my workshop after those little opportunists sneaked in there a few days when I had the door open and made themselves right at home. I didn't shut the door again until after the babies fledged. I have bluebird houses stacked up in our corncrib and one year the Carolina wrens made a nest in one of them even with it turned upside down. My dad had one build a nest in his fishing net one yet. Out of all of the birds that I get here, I call them the most eccentric. :) They sure are cute little things and they love the peanut butter/cornmeal/shortening mix that I put out in a log feeder for them in the winter.
    Cathy

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They sure are cute, Cathy! They're very bold, coming right up on my porch to check out the caterpillars in the cages, always keep me entertained!
    I found another, smaller cluster of pipevine swallowtail eggs on a vine group on another fence in my garden. They usually lay a couple of clusters each day for three or four days before they're done. They're my favorite caterpillar and adult butterfly, also, Cathy.
    I also found two American lady nests on some cudweed. I may or may not bring them in to finish raising.
    Sherry

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

I just started getting the Carolina Wrens a couple years ago. The first year, I didn't see a lot of them, but last year, they were everywhere I looked. They like to walk around on the ground where they can snack on grass seeds, other seeds, and they will let me get within 4 or 5 feet to observe them. I love those perky little tailfeathers!

I never see them very high off the ground, do you guys? They just stay low in foliage and on the ground looking for food. I wish I would get a nest of them. I leave lots of strings, "fluffy" material, dead plant prunings, etc., around the yard for all the birds to utilize for nest building. I do have a family of Cardinals that have been with me for years. They have claimed my potted Blueberries "theirs" whenever they fruit. But they are hilarious to watch as they scrounge around in the pots and yank the herries off.

I am a nature lover, too, MissSherry. All are welcome to dine at the Inn, nest, and raise their young.

Susan

• bernergrrl
    12 years ago

Cute--can't wait to show my daughter the nest of eggs--she adores birds' eggs. Wish I could afford to get her the replicas but may have to try to paint some...They look like they have a little sprinkle of cinnamon. :)

That's a great pic of the Pipevine eggs too. We're supposed to get them here, so I'll have to get some pipevine.

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Is that A. tomentosa, MissSherry, and how big is it right now? Mine are just starting to leaf out.

Altho it is not time for it to emerge yet, I think I lost my A. clematitis in the drought last year. I just couldn't get it watered in the backyard because it's getting too expensive for me to water back there.

Susan

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope you haven't lost your A. clematitis, Susan. Mine have slowly died out, so I don't get the impression it's very long lived.
    Yes, it's the A. tomentosa in the picture. They've colonized all down the entire length of one side of the garden fence and partly on the real long side. They've thrown out new shoots, some of which are about 15" long - they'll grow VERY quickly from now until spring is over, then slow down considerably when it gets hot. A. tomentosa have proven to be the most reliable host plant for pipevine swallowtails for me. My VA snakeroot/A. serpentarias have mostly died out also - they might have reseeded, but the caterpillars would eat the entire plants down to the nub before any of them ever got a chance to bloom - I would have liked to have seen a bloom in my garden.
    Sherry

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living