Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free milkweed seeds send SASE

Posted by fighting8r 10 Fort Myers Florid (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 17:59

From Shady Oak Butterfly farm on Facebook:
If you need milkweed seed, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Free Milkweed Seed, 12876 SW County Rd 231, Brooker, FL 32622. Tropical milkweed plants are available here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free milkweed seeds send SASE

Hello, Does anyone know of a nursey on line that sells a milkweed plant already started, I`m having the worse time to start from seed. THank You Patty

o

Actually I would start at the same place listed above, Shady Oaks.
Have you checked around locally? Not sure where you are but a good time of year to find them in many areas.
Good luck!

o

Any idea what specific variety of milkweed? Since I just today found out that milkweed is a family rather than a specific plant. I recently bought some Asclepia tuberosa seeds locally so I am not looking for more of those. However if it is some other variety then free is my favorite price.

o

Patty, you can go to LiveMonarch and request free seeds and/or order rooted cuttings of tropical milkweed for a reasonable price. They are small, but will grow quickly. I ordered from them a few years ago and was very pleased.

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: LiveMonarch

o

Mail Order Natives have it, but I bet you can find it locally and save the shipping.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Order Natives

o

I have bought Milkweed plants on line from Garden Harvest Supply in Indiana. I've ordered Tuberosa & Incarnata, & they also sell Common. All the plants survived & are full grown now. They arrived as 4 to 6 inch plants with very healthy root systems. Their website is gardenharvestsupply.com
Good luck!

o

Ever Wilde Farms has a large selection of milkweed seeds (I think 12 different kinds) for about $2.50/packet. Not sure of the shipping, but I got to the site from a recommendation & they have a very good watchdog rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ever Wilde Farms

o

milkweed starts better with cuttings or plants...seedlings can work too but they're pretty fragile at first and can be easily destroyed by weather, pets, kids, etc...

If you are looking for tropical milkweed, Janet's suggestion to get cuttings from live monarch looks like a winner. eBay is also a good place to find a wide variety of plants/seeds. Good luck, Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here