Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

How to grow Rue?

Tom
10 years ago

I have tried to raise rue twice before and failed both times. I purchased two small plants this year and the man who sold them to me said to not water them very much and to make sure they have well-drained soil.

Any suggestions? Rue supposedly attracts both the Giant and the Eastern Black swallowtails, so it would be very good to have some grow in my yard.

Comments (7)

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Tom,

I agree it would not like wet feet so do provide good drainage. I grow Rue in a raised bed and water it when the soil drys out. I've read that once it is established, it is rather drought tolerant. I've not found it to be difficult to grow. You might want to try growing in a raised bed or in a big patio pot (maybe try one plant in ground and one in a pot to see which way works best in your area).

What part of Florida do you live in? We lived in Jacksonville for four years and the soil there was very sandy and fast draining.

I, too, grow Rue for the butterflies and it will attract both Giant and Black swallowtails. Rue accepts hard pruning and regenerates quickly. I cut off branches to feed the little cats and the plant just keeps on growing. It is an evergreen for me and overwinters here in central Arkansas. I just cut it back and tidy up the leaves when spring arrives. The oldest Rue plant I have is 3-4 years old. It can also be started easily by seed or by rooting cuttings taken from the mother plant.

Mary

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I've had much better luck with mine when I grow it in shade, Tom - all my sunny rues were short lived. Mine are making a lot of new growth now, which will cease when it gets hot.

It's one of my favorite host plants for its versatility, and the way it holds up so well in water, which makes it great for raising black or giant swallowtails yourself.

Sherry

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Try also some native members of the Rue/Citrus Family (Rutaceae) such as Wild Lime. It's a bit thorny, but all the better to protect those GST larvae.
    Fennel will attract flocks of BSTs and is a biannual in the South.
    I had great luck with Fennel both in SoFla and here in the Midwest. This year, I'm trying Rue from seed, but I predict that Fennel will be the bigger draw hands down.

• Tom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a large Wild Lime tree. It is growing into two Little Gem Magnolias at the moment. I also have two large fennel patches. The fennel really attracts the Eastern Black Swallowtails and the Wild Lime attracts the Giants. I also have a number of Hercules Club that the Giants like.

I will take the advice from Mary and Sherry and put the rue in large pots with good potting soil and put them in places that get a lot of shade and decent water. Hopefully they will do well.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that mine grow in raised beds, Tom. They give good drainage, and I can put whatever type soil in the beds that I want to.

Sherry

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

i grew Rue for a number of years. However, I found out that I was very sensitive to it. If I rubbed up against the small leaves, I would break out in a rash from it. I guess since it is in the family with citrus, it must be similiar to what happens with those plants. I saw on Dr. OZ the other day that 4 little girls were picking limes off a tree and sucking on them but they also starting throwing them at each other (playing). The girls were also running around and jumping in the pool in the same time frame. All 4 ended up with 2nd degree burns from the lime juice. They showed pictures of the hugh blisters that appeared the next morning.
    I think I will stick (pun) with my Wild Lime. Because of the thorns, I'm extra special careful not to get near the leaves.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Agreed. Not only does Wild Lime deliver hugely as a host plant for Giants, but the thorns add extra protection from predators.
    Also good when used as a security planting. No one is going to be "cutting through" a hedgerow of Wild Lime!!