Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plants go well with butterfly bush?

Posted by suz9601 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 19:01

I am planting a Miss Molly butterfly bush in the back of the butterfly garden and would like to have some ideas for plants to go in the garden. I don't have too large of an area, maybe 8 ft by 8 ft. What perinnals would go well w/the b.Bush? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plants go well with butterfly bush?

Well, of course butterfly bushes can get pretty big, so Miss Molly might well fill up your space pretty soon. Miss Molly is very pretty. Looks like a dark pink? Maybe a nice bright contrast would be good, like some Black eyed Susans? Maybe some white Garden Phlox?

o

Around the base of it, I think it would be nice to plant something low growing that blooms early in the spring so you'll have some color before the butterfly bush gets going. Creeping Phlox came to my mind but I'm sure there are others. You could plant those a foot or more from the base and they would fill in. Then you could plant some taller flowers out toward the edge of your bed.

o

Thank you both for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

o

suz9601, your situation sounds just like mine as I have just enlarged a garden bed (an extra 8 ft by maybe 9 ft) and I was thinking what to plant in the middle as the anchor plant. How does "Miss Molly" compare to other full size butterfly bushes? Of course the flower is a unique colour (for a butterfly bush) but I get the impression from its description that it blooms sooner in the summer than other such bushes?

Does anyone here have experience yet with this newer cultivar?

o

suz9601, your situation sounds just like mine as I have just enlarged a garden bed (an extra 8 ft by maybe 9 ft) and I was thinking what to plant in the middle as the anchor plant. How does "Miss Molly" compare to other full size butterfly bushes? Of course the flower is a unique colour (for a butterfly bush) but I get the impression from its description that it blooms sooner in the summer than other such bushes?

Does anyone here have experience yet with this newer cultivar?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here