Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Some butterfly & cat pics

caterwallin
12 years ago

These are all from last year, of course. I'm usually so busy raising cats that I fail to take the time out to post pics when they are recent.

Red Admiral

{{gwi:457805}}

Variegated Fritillary cat

{{gwi:457806}}

More Variegated Fritillary cats

{{gwi:457807}}

Variegated Fritillary after eclosing

{{gwi:457808}}

Comments (6)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful pictures, Cathy!
    When inspecting the false nettles this afternoon, I found that the many red admiral eggs on the many false nettles have become little black cats inside those cute nests. I'll undoubtedly be bringing in some to raise tomorrow - 'hope they're not parasitized!

Sherry

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sherry! Ooh, how exciting that you have little Red Admirals! I hope too that they'll be okay and lots of luck raising them!
    Cathy

• jibd
    12 years ago

Nice pics, Cathy! What do you feed your variegated frit cats? Frits are my favorite butterflies, but their cats are so hard to find if they're scattered around the violet patches in my yard, as I suspect they would be. I planted a Passiflora incarnata last year that hasn't yet shown signs of life, so I may need some alternate hosts this year.

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, jibd! The cats were eating Passiflora incarnata and also violas. I found cats on both of those and I also fed them both and they thrived on both. I didn't like how the passionvine was popping up all over the place, though, so I got rid of it (I hope) and will be planting 'Incense' (in a pot in case it would be invasive) and 'Lady Margaret'. I had planted violets into a big pot that I had dug out of our yard for the VFs to eat, but they'd crawl off of those and back onto the 'Black Sorbet' violas that I had gotten online (seeds) last spring. So I bought more of those again this year. I plan of putting some in containers and planting some in the garden.

Yes, I can imagine that the frits would be hard to find in the violet patches in your yard, as I had a hard enough time finding them last year on the violas that I had in the garden. They seem to be able to blend in really well, which I guess is a good thing.

Hopefully your P. incarnata will come back to life. I'd say it will because it's early for it to pop up through the soil just yet...it would be early for it here in PA anyway and I'm also in zone 6. I was in zone 6a but since they changed the charts, now I'm in 6b. Best of luck with the Variegated Fritillaries!

Cathy

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

Hello my good friend Cathy!! Just thinking of you a few minutes ago as I toured my yard to check on everything. Those little Pawpaws are coming along just fine. I love your pictures, esp. the Red Admiral. Where are the pics of the V. Frit. chrysalis? You surely took some of those?

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Angie girl! How ya doing? I'm glad to see you on here. Sorry if I don't visit the bird forums anymore...just too much. I'm happy to hear that your Pawpaws are doing so well. I didn't even walk up that way yet this year in our yard to check on mine, but I'm sure the whole dozen are living...they were at the end of last summer anyway. Mine aren't as big as yours though.

I don't think I took any VF chrysalis pics last year because I don't have any from then in my folder. I got a pic of one several years ago if I can dig through all of my pics and find it.

Cathy

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions