Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterguy

Ellen VS Evil

Tony G
13 years ago

Good evening,

I am new to the world of Butterfly Bushes. I am in zone 4b so growing them is a risk...but one I'm willing to take. :)

I am trying to decide between "ellen's blue" and "evil ways" for a back border behind my zinnia garden.

both of these sound like great cultivars. does anyone have a preference and, if so, why?

Thanks for your help, Tony

Comments (17)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

I'm never heard of Evil Ways, but I sure do love Ellen's Blue - it's my favorite butterfly bush!
    {{gwi:456818}}
    Sherry

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Oh gosh you guys. I had forgotten all about Sherry's Ellen's Blue Butterfly Bush. NOW that you have reminded me, I am going to have to have one of those. I already have 11 butterfly bushes in my yard. Ya think I need another one? LOLOLOLOL OK, I looked it up, and the gorgeous Evil Ways even has golden leaves!!! Oh no. I shouldn't have looked. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Evil Ways Butterfly Bush

• Tom
    13 years ago

Can't find the Ellen's Blue at a reasonable price--nothing under $30 with shipping. Anyone know a vendor who sells it at a more reasonble cost?

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

The Botany Shop has it for $6.00, plus a minimum of $10 shipping costs. I've never ordered from them, so I can't speak to the quality of their plants - maybe somebody on this forum has ordered from them. If not, you can check Dave's Garden for their rating.
    Here's another picture -
    {{gwi:457888}}
    Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Shop Ellen's Blue

• Tony G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

miss sherry, your beautiful photos have won me over!

I ordered ellen's blue and a "4 in 1" for another area.

I will let everyone know what my plants look like when they arrive. I requested shipping April 15...the snow better be gone by then!!! (it's been a long winter here)

• imabirdnut
    13 years ago

About the Botany Shop...I ordered Ellen's Blue (4 of them) & a Bicolor at the first of March & they came in Fed Ex & in great shape. I figured with each one at $5 for 5 & $12.50 shipping...it is less than any other vendor I found. All of the plants were 10-12 inches & all but one are thriving! The one died back to just above the ground where I planted it & is coming back. I do recommend them!

{{gwi:450529}}

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Evil Ways is new to me, bought it at the end of summer last year, so I don't know how well it will do, or if it made it through the winter. In about a month or so I guess I'll find out. What drew my attention to it was the yellow leaves and dark purple flowers.

Karen

• Tom
    13 years ago

Sherry, it just struck me that when you said that Ellen's Blue was your favorite butterfly bush you meant your favorite buddleia. When I first read your post I took it as your favorite nectar plant for butterflies.

Anyway, I did order two from the Botony Shop. In Florida we have to put these in pots, because the nematodes eat their roots in few years. I have a very large pot to put these in when they get here and after I have repotted them into smaller pots first.

Buddleias are great plants, but they are a lot like roses. They have to be deadheaded and they like a lot of water, but no wet feet. Which reminds me, I have to deadhead a bunch of my roses today...

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

You're right, buddleias do need to be deadheaded a lot, Tom - that's the only thing I don't like about them, especially if they grow real tall, because then you have to stand on a ladder to reach the highest spent blooms. And I DID mean that Ellen's Blue was my favorite buddleia - I'm not sure what my favorite nectar plant for butterflies is - I like a lot of them. Maybe my Sonset lantana would qualify as my favorite nectar plant, because it doesn't make seeds - it's sterile - it requires zero care - I never water it, even in dry weather or fertilize it, and it still grows huge each year. It reliably comes back every spring. Its only bad quality is that it grows so big, it'll overtake other plants, so I've had to give it about 3/4 of a bed, even pruning it back during the summer. And it attracts just as many butterflies, if not more, as buddleias do.
    Sherry

• Tom
    13 years ago

You are my guide, Sherry. If you say it's good I believe you. I ordered three of the sonset lantana. They should be here in a few days--got an email that they were shipped via UPS today.

Getting ready to plant the last third of my garden this week and next. There is lots of room for these lantanas. I'm hoping they do well.

Do you post on the hummingbird forum sometimes, Sherry? There is a Sherry from Mississippi who posts at times...

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Yes, Tom, I'm the Sherry from southeast Mississippi - I'm assuming you're talking about the Network 54 forum, I think it's called, not the Gardenweb. I usually post when my hummers first arrive and occasionally through the year. There are at least two males and two females here now, because two males were "duking it out" the other day, and the two females have distinctive features.
    You'll love Sonset lantana, but give it plenty of space. It REALLY gets big! It's about the easiest-to-grow nectar plant you'll ever have.
    {{gwi:457889}}

Sherry

• Tom
    13 years ago

There is a lantana that looks like this that grows wild all over Central Florida. This one isn't the same, is it?

Yes, Sherry, I was talking about the 54 forum. It's a great place for hummer talk. I have two male Ruby-throateds now, but I haven't seen a female yet. They may be here; I hear a lot of hummer squeaking in the trees, but I haven't seen one yet.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Just received two big, beautiful plants from the Botony Shop. I have never received plants in better shape or faster than this. What a great store. I'm going to buy from them again.

Tom

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

That's good to hear - I'll order from them some time.
    Sherry

• murray_2008
    13 years ago

Sherry, do you happen to know if the Sonset Lantanas are available from a mail order nursery? Mine are doing quite well but I would love to get a couple more. Murray

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

I found this one on the internet, Murray. I've never ordered from them, so, again, I can't vouch for the quality of their plants, but you can't get much cheaper - their Sonset lantana is $3.05 per plant!
    Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonset Lantana

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Hi, everybody! I purchased a Sonset Lantana last year from my local garden nursery for $2.95. I know, I know, don't rub it in. But look for them locally, too, because they are being heavily marketed to nurseries and garden centers. The one i got was labeled "Sonset Rose", and the blooms were just to die for. Deep, deep rose color with pink and a buttercup yellow. Butterflies loved it, too. Of course, it is an annual for me, but nonetheless I'd like to pick up another this year if I'm able to find one.

Meanwhile, I am going to try a new plant - new to me anyway - called Melochia tomentosa, or Pyramid Bush. Ordered it already from Bustani Plant Farm - LOVE their plants! I like the hot pink blooms, and the silvery blue foliage. Anything that is in the Chocolate family has got to be another "to die for" plant!

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Melochia tomentosa aka Pyramid Bush