Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mechelle_m

Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE

mechelle_m
10 years ago

I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!) for the elegans pipe vine. This vine hosts the gold rim swallowtail (polydamas swallowtail). Send me an email and I will contact you with info on getting a SASE to me for a packet of seeds.

Mechelle

Comments (26)

• alch21
    10 years ago

I would love to get some! thanks

Anne

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anne,

I was unable to respond to your email, your address is blocked. Please send me an email so I can send you the information to send me an SASE,

Mechelle

• alch21
    10 years ago

not sure why my address is blocked
    my email address is
    hibouxsc@gmail.com
    thanks

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Mechelle,

What is the growing zone for this pipevine? My thanks.

Mary

• topsiebeezelbub
    10 years ago

Is there any special treatment for growing arisolochia seeds? I would like to try fimbriata, since it is hardy in my zone, but I need to know what the procedure is for sprouting them...don't want to waste them. I know of a place to buy them, but want to be sure I treat them properly. Thanks to anyone who can help.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

So nice of you to offer. Can't grow it here in zone 7 though.

Topsiebeezelbub....I am in zone 7 and I have tried growing fimbriata here without a whole lot of luck. It germinates in pots easy enough, but it has been really slow to establish in the ground. Last year, I grew some Aristolochia tomentosa in a pot and transplanted to yard. We will see if it comes back. I have seed for fimbriata if you want some. Some people have told me that they had better luck just straight sowing it into the ground. Additionally, I have some Virginia Snakeroot in my yard, but it has been a pitifully slow grower too. I believe that the Pipevine cats are really voracious and so they will need a lot of food. I hope to raise some one day and find out. :)

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The growing zone for elegans is 8 to 10 according to floridata.com

The pipevine swallowtail does eat a lot, but in my experience, the monarch eats way more.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Regarding the fimbriata; I grow it in 8a-7b and even with our terrible winter this year, I'm seeing the first new growth of this season. I was afraid the little vines might not come back but at least one is still alive. The bed where I grow them is a raised bed on the northeast side of the house where ground was frozen solid for long periods of time this winter. They have a light covering of pine bark mulch. These little 3 year old vines are hardier than I would have expected.

Mary

• abzzybee
    9 years ago

Hi, I would love some seeds, thank you.

• abzzybee
    9 years ago

Ok, I feel dumb, can't find your email. So here's mine, anjahampton@gmail.com.

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent you an email abzzybee. If anyone else asked for seeds and I didn't respond, please send another request. I still have seeds available.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I am in Sarasota Florida. If you think this is a proper zone 9-10, I would love some. I starting my butterfly gardens last year and I'm so happy with the early results. I planted lots of Milweed and have many Monarchs. I would love to try to attract more Swallowtails.
    Jane

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Send me an email, mechellemaynes@yahoo.com and I will get the SASE info to you.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Thanks again, Mechelle. I will send off the SASE tomorrow. Sorry, didn't understand what those initials meant. Just came to me! Little slow, lol

Jane

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

I sent you an email too Mechelle. :-)

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    9 years ago

Does this offer still stand?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Seed exchanges are supposed to be kept to the exchange forums. Check the policy instructions when you get there....GardenWeb didn't allow anything but swapping.....not even SASE, and I assume that Houzz will follow that policy, too.

Click here to visit all of the Exchange Forums!

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Also, you are commenting in a section where people grow this for butterflies. If you go through almost any forum on this site, people are offering seeds that fit that category.

TY for the upcoming seeds. I don't mind one bit paying for postage to get such unusual seeds for my butterfly garden. I doubt any one else does either :)

• ptichkag7
    9 years ago

Hello Mechelle,

I would love to get some.

Thank you.

Please contact me ptichkag7@gmail.com

• Mary Leek
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mechelle, for your long standing generosity to this group.

I am a receipient of some of Mechelle's kindness. She has helped so many people who otherwise would have few options for obtaining unusual seed for their butterfly gardens and I am grateful for her contributions to our group.

Mary

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

Mechelle helped me,too!

My fimbriata bed washed away that season;around here in

Hurricane country that's the risk!

Thanks again Mechelle,for giving me the try.

Once I work thru my Dill/fennel issues one day I will try

Again with Pipevines because I love Pipevine swallowtails!

DD

• ily68
    9 years ago

Hi, if you have some left, I would love some.

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ily68, send me an email : mechellemaynes@yahoo.com
  • msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Mechelle,

My DH just picked up the seeds. I want to thank you. Not only for the seeds, but the wonderful letter you wrote that came with them. It makes everything so much more personal. Butterfly Gardeners (gardeners in general too) are

such nice people. TY again :)

• ily68
    9 years ago

mechelle_m(z9 TX), I wanted to let you know, that I received the seeds today. Thank you very much for the seeds and the note. Going to plant them tomorrow, can't wait, and thanks again for the seeds.

Sponsored