Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE

Posted by mechelle_m z9 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 21:41

I have harvested a ton of seed pods (at least 45 pods!) for the elegans pipe vine. This vine hosts the gold rim swallowtail (polydamas swallowtail). Send me an email and I will contact you with info on getting a SASE to me for a packet of seeds.

Mechelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aristolochia Elegans Seeds for SASE

I would love to get some! thanks

Anne

o

Anne,

I was unable to respond to your email, your address is blocked. Please send me an email so I can send you the information to send me an SASE,

Mechelle

o

not sure why my address is blocked
my email address is
hibouxsc@gmail.com
thanks

o

Mechelle,

What is the growing zone for this pipevine? My thanks.

Mary

o

Is there any special treatment for growing arisolochia seeds? I would like to try fimbriata, since it is hardy in my zone, but I need to know what the procedure is for sprouting them...don't want to waste them. I know of a place to buy them, but want to be sure I treat them properly. Thanks to anyone who can help.

o

So nice of you to offer. Can't grow it here in zone 7 though.

Topsiebeezelbub....I am in zone 7 and I have tried growing fimbriata here without a whole lot of luck. It germinates in pots easy enough, but it has been really slow to establish in the ground. Last year, I grew some Aristolochia tomentosa in a pot and transplanted to yard. We will see if it comes back. I have seed for fimbriata if you want some. Some people have told me that they had better luck just straight sowing it into the ground. Additionally, I have some Virginia Snakeroot in my yard, but it has been a pitifully slow grower too. I believe that the Pipevine cats are really voracious and so they will need a lot of food. I hope to raise some one day and find out. :)

o

The growing zone for elegans is 8 to 10 according to floridata.com

The pipevine swallowtail does eat a lot, but in my experience, the monarch eats way more.

o

Regarding the fimbriata; I grow it in 8a-7b and even with our terrible winter this year, I'm seeing the first new growth of this season. I was afraid the little vines might not come back but at least one is still alive. The bed where I grow them is a raised bed on the northeast side of the house where ground was frozen solid for long periods of time this winter. They have a light covering of pine bark mulch. These little 3 year old vines are hardier than I would have expected.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here