Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing asclepias

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 22:01

is there any asclepias that can thrive in almost complete shade? how about buddleia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing asclepias

Asclepias will just eke by in shade, will not bloom and will have less nutritional value for Monarch cats. Buddhlea will not fare well either.
Try growing some nettles or false nettles for the Red Admiral.
If you really want to attract Monarchs, you may want to thin out some of your shade trees to make way for Milkweed and Buddhlea.

o

Desirai,

I have not grown it, but Poke Milkweed (Asclepias exaltata) is supposed to tolerate partial shade. You might give it a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias exaltata

o

Hi Desirai...how many hours is "almost complete" shade?

Tropical milkweed seems to thrive in partial shade but I'm not sure how happy it would be with less than 4-6 hours of sun.

I am guessing butterfly bush wouldn't grow very well, but you can always experiment. Good luck, Tony

o

Hi.. umm.. the spot is underneath trees, on the edge of the woods. it gets morning sun, but otherwise it's shade. the area is bare, I wanted to plant something there.

o

I truly appreciate your concern for Monarchs, which are on the decline. Here are a couple more suggestions:
Try Marsh Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) on the edge of the treeline. They'll tolerate afternoon shade, as long as they get morning sun.
I would also acquaint my neighbors to growing Asclepias spp
such as Butterfly Weed (A. tuberosa), Marsh milkweed and other ornamental varieties in areas where they may provide more sun.
Surely, they'll fall in love c Monarchs!!
I got a similar campaign going in my neighborhood to combat the Japanese Beetle, and this year I'm giving out seedlings to all my neighbors and friends.
Recent decline in Monarch numbers can be turned around if we reach out to our neighbors and get them involved.

o

I haven't seen a monarch in years, I'd really like to have some live here

o

Hi Leafhead,

I've never heard this so I'm curious, why would milkweed grown in shade have less nutritional value?

o

Milkweed that gets direct sun will naturally make more food thru photosynthesis, and this will make the plants more nutritious. A hungry, light starved host plant of any kind is liable to be a weak source of food.
Plus, most Asclepias spp won't bloom much in shade. I do agree c the Poke Milkweed , which is more shade tolerant than most Asclepias spp. We don't see a lot of that one here in WI., but a few places do carry it.

o

Although no specific reports have been seen for this species, many, if not all, members of this genus contain toxic resinous,

Here is a link that might be useful: does face thin tool work

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here