Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
luna moth cocoon????

Posted by cj21381 georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 22:20

My daughter found a cocoon on the ground, I brought it in and showed my hubby. We thought it was dead since it was on the ground so my hubby cut it open to see what was inside. It's large and brown.At first I still thought it was dead cause it didn't move so I laid it up on my counter and forgot about it. A few days later I accidentally bumped it and the thing went crazy. wiggling and twisting in the cocoon. So it is ALIVE.And seems to be getting stronger as the days go by. So far it hasn't died from the cocoon being cut open. What do I do with it. it's late march here and the weather is warming up and I read that it should be keep cool or something untill spring, well it's spring now so maybe it's alright but how do I care for it.what do I keep it in, do iI need to keep it moist. Anyone who has any advice PLEASE let me now. I feel responsible for it now,I hope I didn't damage it or hurt it from finishing it's metamorphosis.

Here is a link that might be useful: cocoon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: luna moth cocoon????

Hello, that looks like a Luna cocoon to me. Well since you said its warm there, it should be fine for it to hatch out now. Anyways the container should have a stick in it or something for the moth to climb up on. The container should be big enough for the moth to hatch out, climb up and expand and dry its wings, which is the most important part because they can have a wing span of 4-5 in. I would say a pop-up laundry basket would do or any thing of that nature. Oh and yes, spray or mist the cocoon with a spray bottle every other day , so the pupae in the cocoon wont dry out. also don't worry about feeding the Luna when it hatches, because it has no mouth. I hope this helped some :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here