Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for good source of Echinacea seed

Posted by buzzito (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 0:25

Anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced distributor of Echinacea seeds? Also looking for some that have a wide selection of Echinacea varieties. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for good source of Echinacea seed

I like Swallowtail Gardens for seeds. Good customer service, nice prices, and the seeds have always had a great germination rate for me.

I've got the Wild Berry variety started for this year. No flowers yet, but they are doing very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: 13 Echinacea varieties available

o

I second that recommendation. Swallowtail and Prairiemoon Nursery are my two favorites. If you really want to save some money, try checking into the seed exchange. There may be someone who has more than they know what to do with. Good luck.

PS Are you planting milkweed? The Monarchs need all the help they can get.

o

Yes...
Got Milkweed?lol

o

2 years ago I placed a sizeable order of seeds from Swallowtail, and although I wasn't happy with all the seed strains, I had good results with all 3 varieties of Echinacea. This included E. purpurea 'Pow wow wild berry', 'Bravado', and 'Primadonna White'. In particular the 'Bravado' has been a very vigourous grower, producing a large blooming clump in the 2nd year. The PWWB not so much. This will be the 3rd year coming up for these seedlings, can't wait to see how they do!

o

There's a great seed exchange forum on GW. I've had some great success c obtaining seeds there.

o

The exchange is a great suggestion! I might actually have some of the Wild Berry I can send you, but I'm not at home and am not sure if I still have extra seeds. If I do, it's not a lot.

Edited: Sorry. The WB only came 10 to a pack, so no more left. :(

This post was edited by SaraElise on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 1:06

o

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes I am planting milkweed and I am about to order plugs of it to get a jump start to provide for caterpillars. I have a very small backyard in which to plant but want to attract the butterflies and have come to enjoy the Echinacea very much also. I will definitely follow-up on the suggestions. Thanks again!

o

Echinacea and Milkweed go hand in hand in sustaining the Monarch Butterflies.
Another favorite nectar source is Liatris. They use this en mass on the migration back South.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here