Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower Aztec Sun

Posted by luvahydrangea Albany NY 5 (threehoffmans@nycap.rr.com) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 8:32

Anyone ever grow this variety? I tried to start it indoors two weeks ago, and do far, nothing. They haven't germinated. I have them under lamps, with heating mat. Any advice?

Cross posted on Starting from Seed forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower Aztec Sun

I do I love them they grow just like the tall sunflower easy and a bit shorter and yellow.They useally ether germinate in week or rot they should start soon are not at all mine sprout very fast here in texas I should have seeds very soon if they dont sprout let me know ill mail ya some seeds .
Angie
Last years pic
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Yes I grow this, and like the yellow color. I just sowed Tithonias on 4/23 in cups and then put them outside along the south side of the foundation of the house (warm microclimate). The orange is already sprouting but the Aztec Sun hasn't sprouted. I checked last year's records too and the Aztec Sun sprouted 6-8 days later than the orange, so apparently it is slower.

Is your seed from a commercial source and is it fresh?

o

Gosh, I'd think those seeds would have germinated by now. Sunflowers usually come up quickly. I have Sunflowers popping up out front already that self-sowed from last year's crop. I like to have them around because the Silvery Checkerspots and Gorgone Checkerspots use it as a larval host plant.

I hope you get some germination quickly or I'd be inclined to think either bad seed or rotting seed.

My Tithonia seeds have already germinated that I sowed in situ, including Yellow Torch, Fiesta Del Sol, and Torch. I guess we've had enough warm weather to heat up the soil for germination.

Susan

o

Those are beautiful Angie and thank you for the offer, I will definitely let you know if they dont germinate. I had some left over so am trying a new batch. I think the originals may have rotted, but I'm not tossing them out yet. I'm going to leave the heating mat on them 24/7 to see if that helps. Originally I was allowing the heating mat to go off when the lights did via the timer. Maybe my basement is too cool for them without the mat. Its definitely too cold for them to be directly sown here.

I bought them from "Seedsavers Exchange." I also bought peas from them that didn't seem to germinate. I've never ordered from them before. Not sure if I will again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here