Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand Pollinating Milkweed

Posted by butterflyman 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 8:56

I did a little investigating on what is involved in hand pollinating milkweed - it's quite involved - click on the link below for my posting about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Pollinating Milkweed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand Pollinating Milkweed

And here I thought it was just a little powdery stuff getting carried around. Actually someone posted something similar recently, and I have been wondering about how to get my giant milkweed to make seed, but I do not see the same structure in the Calitropis gigantea (sp?) flowers. Anyone know about that one?
kelly

o

I don't know the answer to your question, but here's another thought. What I've read is that plants don't do well if you try to self-pollinate with the same plant. A lot of times the seeds don't develop properly. You might try a 2nd plant to help in the pollination process.

o

I had great success with a small water color brush. I read the instructions you linked but I just swished it in my tropical milkweed flowers & it made a huge difference last season with lots of seed pods after there were none forming!

o

thanks all, we have done the paintbrush thing, among two different plants (I hve only two). So far, no seed pods, although the flowers have fallen off. We'll keep at it, just in case!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here