Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zucchini_gw

Tithonia...starting indoors and how long

zucchini
10 years ago

A friend gave me many seeds for Tithonia...I have started them in pete pellets..some in the window, some under lights and started them covered and under a warm blanket (as I do my tomato plants)..How long do these take to germinate?? I want to make sure I can have them for planting out (June 1st is usually the day to plant up here)....any help is welcome..thanks you..
Martha Zucchini

Comments (5)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I've only grown them once, and I wintersowed them. I actually gave up on them and tossed them into the vegetable garden, but one plant grew. I didn't get blossoms until late August, so I wish I had started them inside with lights or heat. I think your current plan should work well. I'm betting germination will be pretty quick if the soil is warm and moist. Then, provide as much light as possible and as close to the seedlings as possible. Good luck.

Martha

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Better to sow outdoors as these seeds are difficult to get going. They germinate easily and within a few days. But then they don't do well. I have only been successful once with growing them inside. I tried again this year, and am on the second round. Ready to give up as they are not thriving. Wait until it is warm to sow them.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I generally start them indoors a couple weeks before last frost.
    This year, I'm trying a grow light on some Tiths in a GH and a sunny SW window on the other half. Need HEAT and LIGHT to get going and to bloom. I had good luck c the sunny window last year, but this year's been cold wet and cloudy.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Mine have always come up pretty quickly outside - I've never tried starting them indoors - but the stems are spindly, and many of the seedlings die. The ones that make it, though, grow rapidly, and I can't think of too many flowers that butterflies like to nectar on any better. Those big flowers make a great landing pad and beautiful pictures!

{{gwi:459523}}

Sherry

• zucchini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I just moved them to the heating pad..when the show any signs of life I will get them under lights..or outside in my mini portable green house. I first planted them in pete pellets about 2 weeks ago, and expected some sign of life by now..Our last frost date is June 1st...I suspect too late to start them outside..although our summers can be very hot and last until mid September sometimes...I am so looking forward to these. I have lots of yellow cone flowers and tons of lavender..we have
    very sandy soil...so some things do well. Martha Zucchini

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions