Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New eggs on tomato plant

Posted by mschaetz Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 10:14

about a day ago these appeared on my tomato plant. I think they could be a hornworm. I have isolated them and would like to attempt to raise them all the way through and release the moths.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New eggs on tomato plant

I've never seen hornworm eggs laid in a group like that. Are these eggs pyramid shaped? I found several pyramid shaped eggs on a redbay recently, and, in the past, I was told that they were an undesirable bug. Hornworm eggs always look to me like they're barely attached. Here's a picture I made of a tobacco hornworm egg on a tomato leaf several years ago -
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

They are completely egg shaped. Here are some more photos I just now took. You can see something developing, but I have no idea what. I hope it isn't a stink bug. I so badly want it to be a hornworm.

o
full photo of tomato leaf with eggs

here is a photo taken farther away to give a better idea of their size.

o

Hmmmm, they don't look familiar to me. Definitely NOT a tobacco or tomato hornworm. Be sure to let us know what they turn out to be....take some more good pictures!

o
leaf footed bug

After hours googling.... I have come to the conclusion these are sadly leaf footed bug eggs.....

o

Awwwwwwwwww......toooo bad. Your pictures are awesome BTW. Maybe you will still get your Hornworm eggs!

o

Thanks! I love to take pictures, but sure do wish they were hornworms! I am just starting to plant the right stuff to attract butterflies. Hopefully by next year I'll have something to really take pics of. :D

o

If you have tomato plants, you'll probably end up with some hornworms! Be patient, grasshopper. ;-)

o

That's true rhizo! Almost everyone with tomatoes seems to get them. Lots of people would love to give you theirs mschaetz! I like them though.....and what they turn into. I don't mind sharing some of my tomato leaves for them. :)
And I agree........great pics!

o

I usually transfer the caterpillars to my Datura which they will eat as well. These guys can make short shrift of a tomato plant. Have any of you watched a late instar cat consume a leaf? In record time, I tell you! You can even hear them munching away.

I love em and want to keep em because they are such good pollinators.

Susan

o

I keep looking at my tomato plant every morning and evening.... anxiously waiting.... :D I am still adding host plants for them to lay eggs on (not just for hornworms). Thanks so much for your encouragement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here