Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mschaetz

New eggs on tomato plant

mschaetz
13 years ago

about a day ago these appeared on my tomato plant. I think they could be a hornworm. I have isolated them and would like to attempt to raise them all the way through and release the moths. {{gwi:459661}}

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

I've never seen hornworm eggs laid in a group like that. Are these eggs pyramid shaped? I found several pyramid shaped eggs on a redbay recently, and, in the past, I was told that they were an undesirable bug. Hornworm eggs always look to me like they're barely attached. Here's a picture I made of a tobacco hornworm egg on a tomato leaf several years ago -
    {{gwi:459662}}
    Sherry

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are completely egg shaped. Here are some more photos I just now took. You can see something developing, but I have no idea what. I hope it isn't a stink bug. I so badly want it to be a hornworm.

{{gwi:459663}}

{{gwi:459664}}
    {{gwi:459665}}

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here is a photo taken farther away to give a better idea of their size. {{gwi:459666}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, they don't look familiar to me. Definitely NOT a tobacco or tomato hornworm. Be sure to let us know what they turn out to be....take some more good pictures!

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After hours googling.... I have come to the conclusion these are sadly leaf footed bug eggs.....

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Awwwwwwwwww......toooo bad. Your pictures are awesome BTW. Maybe you will still get your Hornworm eggs!

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I love to take pictures, but sure do wish they were hornworms! I am just starting to plant the right stuff to attract butterflies. Hopefully by next year I'll have something to really take pics of. :D

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

If you have tomato plants, you'll probably end up with some hornworms! Be patient, grasshopper. ;-)

• catherinet
    13 years ago

That's true rhizo! Almost everyone with tomatoes seems to get them. Lots of people would love to give you theirs mschaetz! I like them though.....and what they turn into. I don't mind sharing some of my tomato leaves for them. :)
    And I agree........great pics!

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

I usually transfer the caterpillars to my Datura which they will eat as well. These guys can make short shrift of a tomato plant. Have any of you watched a late instar cat consume a leaf? In record time, I tell you! You can even hear them munching away.

I love em and want to keep em because they are such good pollinators.

Susan

• mschaetz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I keep looking at my tomato plant every morning and evening.... anxiously waiting.... :D I am still adding host plants for them to lay eggs on (not just for hornworms). Thanks so much for your encouragement.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County